Review by JHuschle519 -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Re: Review by JHuschle519 -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by MsTri »

I haven't been into the fantasy genre in YEARS, plus it sounds a little too much like the Harry Potter series (magic school), of which I'm no fan, so I'm no more ready to try this book out than I was last time it was BotD.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Interesting - I am not familiar with the author but I love fantasy, especially anything with elves and orcs, so I will definitely check this out. Thanks for your inspiring review.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

It sounds like this author brought life to the narrative and depth to the characters. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Sounds like a book you can't put aside till you reach the end. I'll definitely be reading this book. Since I'm too impatient to wait until the next book of the series is released to know what happens next, I'll have to wait until all the books of the series are released. I think it'll be worth the wait.
rsirry7382
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164

Post by rsirry7382 »

I have only read the sample of the book, and I agree with what you said about the author giving just the right of information for the history and background to know what's what without a history lesson. This isn't the type of book that I usually enjoy but the sample did make it sound like an interesting read, and it was well written. I honestly would have considered reading the whole book if not for the violence against children you mentioned in your review. That's just one thing I've never been able to tolerate in books or movies more than in tiny doses. While it isn't a book I would want to read myself I do know several people who are into the fantasy genre that I would recommend it to.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I would really like to find out how a single person is accused of starting a war. This book sounds very intriguing and I look forward to finding out more. Congrats on BOTD.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I absolutely love fantasy. I am glad the author was able to do some fantastic world building without weighing the story down and that all the characters are well developed with flaws and history. Congrats on the book of the day! Great review!
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

The book does look a little bit like Harry Potter with Brimstone studying in a special school for mages and then having having lots of adventures with his small group of companions. It sounds pretty exciting, still with all that descriptive violence in the book I'm not sure I will venture into reading this once. Still congratulations on becoming BOTD!
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Thanks for the review. I love reading fantasy. The story sounds interesting so have added it to my to be read list.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

This is a masterful work of fantasy that quickly hooks the reader and doesn’t let go. Rose’s writing strikes a perfect balance between world-building and storytelling, which is no easy task.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I do love a good fantasy series and I am really curious to see this blend of storytelling and world building.

I get the impression that Leaf is a huge character so I want to know how he finally improves.

All in all, I am really interested in this book and am heading over to my bookshelf to add to my WTR shelf. So glad to have heard about this book.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I find it really impressive that the author was able to successfully balance the world building and story telling. Usually in books like this, I tend to find the authors focus too much on the world building that the story gets very dry and long and it takes awhile to actually get to the heart of the story so I'm glad this isn't the case here. Great and thorough review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

From your review, I just know that I will enjoy this book. It has the elements I love in dark fantasy novels: well-developed characters, great world-building, etc.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

Fantasy! Finally my most preferred genre and the book referred as masterpiece as well!!! New author for me, but I am sure great reviews and so many readers just can't be wrong and lead me astray. Plot does seems promising and I anticipate really good time reading this book.
lawanisamson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by lawanisamson »

Waoo, really a great book, I will recommend for teens and adults. I love the link between the humans plants and animals. ""the humans, the elves, and the orcs. Each of these races had a special connection to the world around them. The orcs were masters of the animals, the elves were attuned to the plants and the elements, and the humans were skilled at dominating" Great Author!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”