Review by Samisah -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Samisah -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell is a work of fiction written by William H. Coles. This book is a powerful one. The subtle messages passed across by the author are the same issues ravaging our homes and societies today. Messages of poverty, love, gun control, dysfunctional homes, selfishness and so many others.

On the outside, Hiram McDowell was an accomplished man. President of International College of Surgeons, a philanthropist, a wealthy father of three lovely children and a well-respected member of the society. He was even a nominee for the esteemed position of Secretary for Health. But as the saying goes, not all that glitters are actually gold. Mr. McDowell was not always what the public perceived him to be.

McDowell, on the on the inside, was a cheat, a deceiver, a promise breaker, and a serial adulterer who unashamedly bragged about his nature when he told Carole, his third wife “... I’ve never promised fidelity”. Even though he would love to think he loved his children, this man had no real love for anyone other than himself. This is evident in the twisted and albeit miserable lives his children had, partly due to the dysfunctional upbringing and subsequent lack of attention he showed them in their adult lives. All McDowell ever wanted and needed was how to care for his selfish interests at the expense of others. When McDowell “assisted" his grandson’s death, the society and the law, finally caught up with him. He was convicted of second-degree murder by the court and sentenced to jail. But fate gave him a chance at redemption when he escaped from the prison just over a year into his twenty five years jail term. But, will he finally realize the purpose of his existence, how will he cope in the new world as a fugitive? Will he seek vengeance on those he believed, rubbed him of his perfect life? The answers are all packed in this interesting book.

The book has two parts, the first part dealt with the achievements and glory of Hiram McDowell. The second part was about his fall from grace and his struggle to find meaning and purpose for life. The book was written in an omnipresent third person kind of way, which is intended to help the reader understand the characters better. However, I felt this was muffled up a bit. There were instances where the thoughts of two or more characters were aired even though, only one character ought to be centered. Often times I found myself thinking hard to recollect the place and purpose of character.

However I must commend Mr. Coles for the crafty nature of the characters. The protagonist here was portrayed as any normal human. On the outside, he was a gentle man, a philanthropist and a great surgeon. But he had his own issues like every other man. He had his dark and hidden side just like the next man you meet on the street. Although no book is ever completely flawless, credit must go to the editorial crew for a great job.

All the themes covered in the book were saliently laid bare to the reader. This include the plight of young women, who in this modern time, are thrown outside into the hash cold, simply because they are observing their monthly visitor. Another, is the easy access that youths have to guns. The author was a able to link teenage gun violence with a lack of a proper and serene family upbringing. In this instance, the young boy, Jeremy, was a disturbed child. His mother, having little or no knowledge on how to best handle him, ended up fearing him. While his father, enmeshed in his own financial troubles, chooses to believe he was a good child, despite his many atrocities. The truth here is that both parents neglected him. There could not understand him and never tried enough to find help for him. Gun violence and mass murders have over time causes so much havoc in many districts of America and Europe. And I think it's nice of the author to broach on such an important topic.

Despite the little hitches noted above, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is due to the many messages and simple language Mr. Coles employed. I think the world needs to hear more and more of this issues, only then will we be willing to face it and resolve them. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to youths, families and anyone who feels he or she needs to rediscover themselves again.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Samisah's review? Post a comment saying so!
joellas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joellas.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by joellas »

Lovely review just finished reviewing this book and I wish I was this eloquent.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have only read the sample on this one, but the character of McDowell was not someone I would want to read about. I am glad you found the book interesting though. Thanks for your review.
Samisah
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

joellas wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 13:02 Lovely review just finished reviewing this book and I wish I was this eloquent.
Awwww thanks for the kind words. And I do believe you can do better than this. Thanks for commenting.
Samisah

Post by Samisah »

melissy370 wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 17:05 I have only read the sample on this one, but the character of McDowell was not someone I would want to read about. I am glad you found the book interesting though. Thanks for your review.
McDowell is truly a challenging character, but if you read it, you might come to understand him. Thanks though.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Mr. Cole's work is clearly chic and exquisite. I'm a person who really enjoys his work so I know what you mean. McDowell is my first book by this author, and I was entice completely towards this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A very thorough review, I must say. I have read several reviews of this book and currently reading the book myself. But I think you have assimilated almost all the major and sensitive issues the author talks about in McDowell. Thanks so much for the review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The subtle messages passed across by the author are the same issues ravaging our homes and societies today. Messages of poverty, love, gun control, dysfunctional homes, selfishness and so many others.
Indeed these vices plague our society today. You have summed up the book well. I also read it but did not enjoy it as much as you did. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Samisah

Post by Samisah »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 03:18 Mr. Cole's work is clearly chic and exquisite. I'm a person who really enjoys his work so I know what you mean. McDowell is my first book by this author, and I was entice completely towards this read. Thank you for your review!
Thanks dear. I think Mr. Coles is a great author. It's not always easy for authors to pass a message while keeping their readers completely engaged at the same time. But he did that flawlessly here.
Samisah

Post by Samisah »

Shrabastee wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 06:37 A very thorough review, I must say. I have read several reviews of this book and currently reading the book myself. But I think you have assimilated almost all the major and sensitive issues the author talks about in McDowell. Thanks so much for the review!
Wow it's good to hear such kind words from seasoned reviewers like yourself. Thank you!
viperlady69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by viperlady69 »

I am new to the club, and I am looking forward to reading this book. Books take us to places where we can sometimes only go in our minds. Books can take us to the stars or to the deepest depth of despair and death not to mention the thrill of trying to solve the mystery or being the heroine the lover saves and lives happily ever after.
I look forward to many pleasurable hours of reading and talking with all of you.
Kathy
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Beautifully done review. You hit all the major high points and issues and did so with elegance. The book does, indeed, address many of the issues that need our attention today, especially, in my opinion, the access many children have to guns. It's a sad state of affairs, and I applaud the author for helping bring them to light. I hope to read more of your reviews in the future!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”