Review by booklover47 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
booklover47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover47.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by booklover47 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by booklover47 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2058 and the world as we know it is in pieces. The United States has fallen due to multiple economic meltdowns that have happened in the span of a few years. No longer is there a Nation that is willing to rebel against what is wrong and fight for what they think is right. Now there are only multiple supercorporations that rule over the people who have managed to survive this economic crisis. Controlling everything from health care, education, and jobs, these corporations have reinvented the way people live their lives. The only problem is that no one stopped to consider what they wanted in return, taking what was given, no questions asked.

Agent Silver works for the CEO of World, Incorporated and does whatever is needed to get rid of people who impose a threat to the company. Gaining little more than money and respect in return, Silver has little to no relationship with his boss or job. He glides through life doing what is asked of him, believing that there is not much more to life than status. However, when finishing a mission, Silver runs into a girl named Kelly who changes his viewpoint of his job and the world he has come to accept.

World, Incorporated, written by Tom Gariffo, is a futuristic version of the world as we know it. Having characters that were easy to relate to and relationships that seemed genuine, this book was very enjoyable to read. The descriptive language helped to add a certain depth to the story that is sometimes lacking in other books, making the reader envision this alternate society.

I found Silver to be a well-developed character, being able to envision him as a real person facing the struggles in this alternative world the author has created. His relationships with other characters were engaging and seemed realistic, making me feel like they had a real connection that was enhanced throughout the book. This being said, I felt that the author spent the most time developing Silver’s character, leaving some of the others, like Kelly, to seem underwhelming and less real.

One thing that bothered me in this book was the endless pages of what seemed to be clips of newspaper articles. I found these parts to be too slow and not really that important to the story as a whole. Although they did provide a somewhat needed background, I think the story would have been more interesting without them. I also would have liked to see more female characters in this story and more character development for some of the ‘lesser’ characters.

Overall this book was interesting to read and mostly action-packed. Being slow in only a couple of parts, I found that I was always intrigued, linking what was happening in this world to the one I live in. WIth descriptive wording and likable characters, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like booklover47's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”