Review by Kareka88 -- One Way or Another

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Kareka88 -- One Way or Another

Post by Kareka88 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams is a romantic tale about Calder Benedict and Adam Stone. They meet one night when Adam comes to Calder’s aid as she is attempting to discourage an unwelcome suitor outside a nightclub. Calder notices Adam’s piercing blue eyes, and she‘s surprised when she sees those same eyes again in the morning, but this time it’s in the hallway of her own home, and he's helping a friend with some painting. Neither of them is looking for love but, there is an instant attraction, and they begin a flirty relationship. Calder and her sisters are wealthy, and they live on the upper east side of Manhattan. Adam grew up in a single family home in a troubled neighborhood. They come from such different backgrounds can they find love?

In this book, the author introduces the reader to the four Benedict sisters. Anderson (Andi), Calder, her twin Bryce, and Destry. All are strong independent women with unique names. The bond between the sisters is the crux of the series, and each sister has a volume of her own.

I think the author could take more time in developing the background of her story. Sometimes she introduces a topic or thought and then drops it with no further detail or explanation. For instance, Calder names her charity Erica’s Angels, but there is no explanation of what the organization is or does. I would like to know why Calder chose Erica’s Angels as the name. Who is Erica and why would Calder name her charity after her?

Another example of when the author leaves out details is when she mentions Calder’s sister Destry. She is in and out of the story often, and the author hints at a secret life and dangerous career, but she gives no details. I hope she provides more information about Destry in the sequels.

I enjoyed the romance between Calder and Adam. The author uses a comfortable writing style that I like, and the pace of the book is quick. The sex scenes contain more innuendo than explicit descriptions for the more sensitive readers. The plot is predictable, but overall it is an enjoyable read.

I enjoyed the story of Calder and Adam, and I look forward to reading the stories about the other sisters.

I feel that segments of the story could use more background development, and therefore, I have to rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all romance lovers looking for a fun, quick, and easy read.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kareka88's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”