Review by Joshua Ogutu -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joshua Ogutu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-ogutu.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Joshua Ogutu -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Joshua Ogutu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell authored by William H. Cole is an epic read that touches on family relationship and crime. This story trails the life of Hiram McDowell, a successful surgeon, and how he eventually falls in life. Besides shining in the field of surgery, McDowell has also succeeded in several other activities such as playing a rock guitar and climbing of mountains like Mt. Himalayas. The fall of McDowell starts when a journalist by the name Paige is tasked with the duty of investigating his life. It is eventually realized that McDowell has a lot of faults in his life. His laboratories are found to be marred with several irregularities, his autobiography is dotted with lies and that his Nepal based charity has many financial corruption.

Hiram McDowell becomes a fugitive due to this beehive of problems. He is stripped of his wealth and high status in the society. Life severely cuts him into size and it is interesting but painful to see how McDowell, once a man with a promising future, ends up wrecking his life. The stroke that breaks the camel’s back came when McDowell’s grandson committed a series of murder in the hospital before passing away in a mysterious circumstance. His death leaves all fingers pointing at McDowell. Do you think McDowell is should shoulder the burden left behind by his late grandson?

McDowell is a story that is packed with enough episodes to thrill its audience. This story has lessons that teach us on hospitality. It also trains us on the importance of being humble and kind to others. The story incorporates several episodes that are capable of stirring emotions of reader. Conflict is the fuel that propels the plot of McDowell to great heights and I loved how the author strongly develops this theme making it one of the pillars that supports this story. The elegant narration is capable of having you captivated as you read this story.

William H. Cole develops this story into a character-driven story and I loved how he fully utilizes his characters in this story. No character is merely created as an instrument to be used in the development of the plot. All characters have a role to play in taking McDowell to the next level. I loved how this story comes to an end in a way that will astonish the readers. This surprise ending gave me authority to declare McDowell a pragmatic book that most if all not readers will like to identify with.

In terms of recommendations, this is a recommendable book that I can recommend to lovers of fiction specifically to people who love reading books endowed with literary fiction. I believe that this book has all it takes to have you glued at the edge of your seat. Apart from some few editorial mistakes, this is a perfect read that should find a space on our shelves. Since McDowell is an awesome entertainer with moral lessons for us to learn, I conferred it with 4 out of 4 stars. If 5 stars were available, I would have given it but unfortunately they are not.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Joshua Ogutu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The passion for work and career, the passion for guitar and mountain climbing, the emotionless life experiences for ladies and his children are the part of this story. You have well managed all the elements of the book. Thanks for your review.
R Benedicta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-benedicta.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by R Benedicta »

McDowell is a novel that will appeal to fans of literary fiction and thrillers alike.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”