Review by Kister Bless -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by Kister Bless -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kister Bless »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell

McDowell is a very insightful book written by William H. Coles. The book is about a brilliant surgeon, Hiram McDowell who appears to be so arrogant and entitled. He had everything but he had it all through committing negligence, crime and wrongdoings. Hiram was a power-hungry surgeon. He helps people in the community while helping himself too but had no compassion for his wife or his stepdaughter since he cuts ties with them. Due to his actions, Hiram ends up being convicted of 2nd-degree murder with a 25-year prison sentence but after 19 months he escapes where he travels the country avoiding capture.

The book is inspiring and heartbreaking at the same time. It portrays real life situations that happens in our lives on daily basis. McDowell deals with the realities of devastation that can occur in the lives of the people we love because of our own self-promotion and egocentrism. It also portrays social issues that are evident in our lives today for instance assisted suicide and the power of the press. The message in the book has the ability to change us in a positive way. McDowell plays a great role in our lives in that from it we learn that we should not let material desire rule us to a point of destruction. Like in the book, Hiram is a kind of a person who lets material desire rule to a point of destruction. Even though how he reacts to the destruction is just amazing and unique.

While reading McDowell, I noted that the novel is divided into two parts. The first part is about Hiram's rise and the second part his fall though there is more to it. Hiram enjoys good life, living in comforts but later everything changes and he finds himself with nothing. I almost gave up reading this book at the beginning but as I kept turning the pages, Hiram's story intrigued me into reading it and I was done within two days.

I loved the book because it was well-written and so engaging. The book also had so many unexpected twists and turns which kept me wanting to read it to the end. Also, it had a great storyline with short paragraphs.

I rate McDowell 4 out of 4 stars because it was such an interesting and peculiar novel in that it was written in a different way from what most of us are used to. The book also had a great plot and was engaging too. I would recommend this book to those who love great self-redemption stories rich in complex characters. It won't disappoint.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kister Bless's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Your clearly deliberate effort in veering away from spoilers is quite notable. I also agree that vanity is not really a virtue, and there are more important things in life than fame and fortune. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Kister Bless

Post by Kister Bless »

Thank you @Espie
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I have read and reviewed McDowell too. I must say, your review is one the good ones I have read. Nice review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Kister Bless

Post by Kister Bless »

@T_stone I appreciate your feedback on my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”