Review by MIQA -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MIQA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miqa.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by MIQA -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by MIQA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Watchmaker’s Doctor

The Watchmaker’s Doctor (2018) by G. M. T. Schuilling is a fictional rendition of an encounter between Anaya- a doctor - and her patient Gregory. Gregory is a retired watchmaker and resides in facility for the elderly in fictional St. Jude’s Retirement Home.

The entire story is told in flashback except chapter I, Present Day. The subsequent chapters plunge the reader into an abyss of uncertainty. What would you do should know the exact time of your death? What would you do, in the course of enjoying life, learn that you suffer an ailment of unknown medical intervention? And still, offered a second opportunity, how would you decide the course of your life? These are the pertinent issues G. M. T. Schuilling engages his/her readers in The Watchmaker’s Doctor.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor goes beyond to interrogate the concept of friendship as witnessed in Kait, Matt and Tay. Each chapter of the book flourishes with endless opportunities as Anaya makes sense of her relationships with different boyfriends at different stages of her life, the inherited bipolar disorder, career choice and the concept of family.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor is further relayed in simple language, flowing plot and credible life realities. As I read the book from chapter to chapter, I identified with Anaya. We are all cognizant that certain paths of life can never be avoided. Anya inherited the bipolar disorder from her father, a classical explanation of the mystery of inherited ailments or physical disabilities.

I picked the gist of the book when G.M.T Schuilling, at the introductory chapter intentionally defies the readers’ expectations. It is Gregory who gifts his caregiver the watch. This act prompts the readers to self-introspect and possibility view life differently.

The book is a read for all with simple language and riveting plot. The Watchmaker’s Doctor stresses that we should unapologetically experience life. I rate the book 3 stars out of 4. I strongly recommend The Watchmaker’s Doctor to persons experiencing uncertainties in life and those regretting the moments they consider wasted in their formative years, for in The Watchmaker’s Doctor, the narrative is that: you can still redeem self.

The Watchmaker’s Doctor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MIQA's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”