Review by hstufm -- The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hstufm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hstufm.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by hstufm -- The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by hstufm »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prize" by Geoffrey M Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prize by Geoffrey M. Cooper

What happens when the stakes are so high, the prize so coveted, the competition cut-throat more or less a zero sum game? Well, your guess is as good as mine. This is aptly depicted in this fictional piece of writing. The Prize depicts the intrigues that happen in the research field more so when this is compounded by the quest for a highly coveted award like the Nobel Prize.

This is a story about two researchers namely Eric Prescott & Pamela Weller of Institute for Advanced Neuroscience & Langmere Institute of Neurological disease respectively. These two researchers are in a race against time to discover treatment for Alzheimers disease though their circumstances vary markedly. Pamela Weller's tenure at Langmere Institute of Neurological Disease hangs in the balance and she’s due for evaluation before a panel of senior faculty as she hadn't produced any tangible results for the more than ten years that she'd focussed on Alzheimers Research Project since joining the institute leading to her current predicament. Eric Prescott on the other hand is basking in the glory of his latest achievement, the Lasker Award for Seminal Research in Elucidating the Basis of Alzheimers Disease and so things are pretty much looking up as far as his research work is concerned.

Pam has an able team to aide her in this Alzheimers research project amongst them Holly Singer, a Post Doc Fellow who makes this all important discovery of Treatment for Alzheimers after numerous tests of samples and thereafter insists on recognition as 1st author contrary to prior arrangements that suggested otherwise. From this point onwards, the drama, the betrayal, the resolve to succeed against all odds is laid bare and ultimately the clinching of the Nobel Prize. What could be more captivating than this? Need i say?
The overarching themes that clearly come out from this writing are: Betrayal, Fortitude & Loyalty.

What i like about this book is that it is a true reflection of what happens in research work more so when aiming for award winning breakthroughs. Research work is time consuming , the resources entailed are mind boggling and the discoveries normally happen instantaneously often when least expected as if by some stroke of magic and buuum!! a new discovery. Then the tussles begin over inter alia: bragging rights, recognition, royalties etc. I’ve got no dislike for any part of this book as the author has strived to strike a perfect balance in his delivery.
In addition, this book is engrossing from the onset and throughout the text.
The author has ingeniously used suspense to keep a reader hooked and yearning for more. The plot & storyline has been greatly enriched and is in sync from chapter to chapter and fits like a giant jigsaw puzzle.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as it has been professionally done, the flow and delivery is commendable. This book would appeal pretty much to lovers of scientific fiction where the storyline is distinct and straight forward.

The Prize
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like hstufm's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”