Review by Spartak Nasirov -- Who Told You That You Were ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Spartak Nasirov
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spartak-nasirov.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by Spartak Nasirov -- Who Told You That You Were ...

Post by Spartak Nasirov »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are books that make you want to think. This is one of that kind of books from the retired Presbyterian minister, who has Master of Divinity and Doctor of Ministry degrees from Fuller Theological Seminary.

The core of this manuscript is to show another point of view about the transgression scene of Adam and Eve. Author comments The Book of Genesis and philosophizes on its interpretation. He tries to open motives of both husband and wife for committing a sin. From the psychological point of view, it`s interesting to find one of the first written descriptions of people's feelings – guilt and fear.

William E. Combs gives his own meaning of words that we are usually either afraid or don`t want to think about, such as death, sin, faith, etc. Of course, without mentioning Jesus Christ, it would be hard to open up those terms fully. The Christ said "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.” (Matthew 10:34) All saints suffered a lot physically and mentally in their path to gain the connection with God. They were all warrior of the Spirit.

One should read this book taking as much time as he or she needs to understand what the author wants to say. At the end of every chapter, you will find questions for discussion. I used them to rewind information.

Although the book is categorized as non-fiction, for atheists it will be hard to believe that author and his wife have really experienced presences of God and Devil. Especially concerning chapters of Personal Testimonies. So I wouldn`t recommend this book for atheists who don`t even want to acknowledge the influence of religion in the life of humanity.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would advise this book for:
+ Students who are writing essays on religious themes, especially about Christianity
+ People who are interested in analyzing The Bible
+ People who are fond of psychology and philosophy

I didn`t rate it 4 stars, because I didn`t get the logic of the table of contents. Reading this book is easy due to the simplicity of the language. Special kudos to the author for making complex things sound as simple as possible! But as for the structure of the book for me, it was like jumping from one thought to another when reaching some chapters.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Spartak Nasirov's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”