Review by Keevan -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Review by Keevan -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Keevan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A twelve-year-old boy named Will Clearly lives in Alaska with his family. Unfortunately, his twin sister disappeared when he was just two years old. Understandably, his mother and father never get over losing her. As a result, Will feels as if he is invisible to them. Thankfully, he has his pets, Dea’ and Damian, to keep him company.

One day, Will decides to go look for his sister, Emmy. Accidentally, he and his animals stumble upon a new world. A new world for Will, that is, but not for his pets. He looks around questionably and quickly realizes everything is made of ice.

In the distance, he sees people or what he suspects are people approaching him. Confused by what he sees, the two translucent figures explain that they are his guardians. They further explain how he got there and how important he is to them and Echoland.

Feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders, Will finds the missing key everyone has been searching for to save Echoland. Unfortunately, this puts Will in even more danger. He and his new friends will have to overcome great challenges. For instance, it will become almost impossible for Will to figure out who he can trust and who he cannot trust.

I give this book The Crystilleries of Echoland written by Dew Pellucid and illustrated by Andy Simmons and Tal Boldo a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because, at times, it was hard for me to keep up with the story. I did not give it a rating of 2 out of 4 stars because it truly is a good story.

I really like the idea of a different realm. Dew Pellucid takes the reader on an enjoyable journey through Echoland. I also like the illustrations. Andy Simmons and Tal Boldo created 82 unique colored illustrations that suit the story perfectly. They help give a better mental picture of what is going on throughout the story. The numerous characters are relatable, and the events of betrayal, bravery, loss and mischief are believable. I did not like that it took me a bit to get into the story. I felt like I was immediately thrown into a situation and felt overwhelmed.

This young adult novel is for people who like fantasy adventure. It does not matter if the reader is young or old. They are sure to enjoy the rollercoaster of adventure from beginning to end. However, if they are not into this type of book, they might want to skip it or give it a try like I did.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Keevan's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”