Review by Book Lover 35 -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Review by Book Lover 35 -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Book Lover 35 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you enjoy law enforcement shows such as Cops or Chicago PD, you will probably enjoy the new story I have for you. This story has many twisted but true tales that are written by a former police officer. This story is called Twisted but True. It is written by Darren Burch.

Darren Burch grew up in Pheonix, Arizona. After getting out of the military, and being a single father, he decides to join the police department. In his book, he talks about his experience as an officer and also about many of the cases that he responded too. You learn about the experiences he has when moving up to different ranks and units.

I enjoyed this book very much. There were many times that I had a hard time putting it down. There are thirty-five chapters in the book. At the beginning of the book, the chapters talked about his life leading up to becoming a police officer and after there are stories about his experience as an officer. A lot of the stories are hilarious and some are a little sad. I loved that every story was unique. Each case seemed to be very different from the others. You never really knew what to expect with every story. The titles of every chapter were also very catchy. There was a section at the end of a lot of chapters that are twist to every story. They were also very interesting and informative. One of my favorite cases had to do with a wild cow that was roaming around on a busy street in the city. He had to somehow capture the cow, not knowing anything about livestock, and push it off the road.

There were many things that I like about the author. In his book, I learned a lot about his life not just as an officer, but as a regular person. He talked about his children and about his wife. He was also not afraid to talk about his screw-ups when he first became a police officer. One of his screw-ups involved locking himself out of his vehicle while responding to a car wreck. He was the only police officer to arrive and to make matters worse, he had to find a way to apprehend two people that were intoxicated. I liked that he talked about his feelings throughout many of the stories. It was easy to sympathize with him. I loved that there were many pictures in the middle of the book of him and other officers. He also enjoyed making people happy. There was one story where he was willing to wear this uncomfortable hippo costume so he could help entertain some kids at a fundraiser.

There wasn't much at all that I didn't like about this book. I did notice that the twist at the end of chapter three didn't really go with the story at all. Even though I thought the twist was good, it looked a little out of place. I didn't like the format of the pages. I had the PDF version and every two pages counted as one page. I did like the shortness of the chapters. There are many places in the book that are easy to leave off.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a delightful and entertaining story to read. I think anyone who works in law enforcement or is a first responder would enjoy this story. Anyone who is interested in going into law enforcement should also read this book. It can give them a clue about some of the cases they might get involved in. I also think anyone that is looking for a story that has a lot of action and a little comedy may also appreciate it. Anyone who is looking for a fictional story or has no interest in learning more about the life of a police officer, might not enjoy this story. I'm glad that I was able to read and review this book. I hope that I can find more books written by this author.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Book Lover 35's review? Post a comment saying so!
:tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

One of my favorite cases had to do with a wild cow that was roaming around on a busy street in the city. He had to somehow capture the cow, not knowing anything about livestock, and push it off the road.
I found this hilarious! I wonder how the author ensured the cow stayed off the road! Sounds like an enjoyable read. Indeed the police work is sometimes bizarre. I wouldn't mind a peek! Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Cotwani wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 13:27
One of my favorite cases had to do with a wild cow that was roaming around on a busy street in the city. He had to somehow capture the cow, not knowing anything about livestock, and push it off the road.
I found this hilarious! I wonder how the author ensured the cow stayed off the road! Sounds like an enjoyable read. Indeed the police work is sometimes bizarre. I wouldn't mind a peek! Thanks for the great review!
Your welcome! Thank you! I loved this book. You can't help but like the author too. I hope you enjoy it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the cover. It would be interesting to read true cop stories.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 21:33 I love the cover. It would be interesting to read true cop stories.
The stories are very entertaining and fun to read. Thank you for your comment!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

What a well-written review! I like humor, I like action, but I normally like fiction. Still since I also like the COPS show you mentioned and some that are just fiction cop shows such as Criminal Justice, I'm going to try it. (You sold me!) Great job! :tiphat:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

fernsmom wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 20:29 What a well-written review! I like humor, I like action, but I normally like fiction. Still since I also like the COPS show you mentioned and some that are just fiction cop shows such as Criminal Justice, I'm going to try it. (You sold me!) Great job! :tiphat:
Thank you. I normally like fiction too. This book was very entertaining though. Thank you for the comment
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I like the title of the book, it seems to preview what's coming. A cop's 'memoir' sounds very entertaining and interesting. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

BookReader+6 wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 22:10 I like the title of the book, it seems to preview what's coming. A cop's 'memoir' sounds very entertaining and interesting. Thanks for your review!
It was fun to read. Thank you for the comment!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I don't really enjoy law enforcement stories, but this one seems different from the ones I've read. I'll give it a try when I get the chance. Thank you for the review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

prospero360 wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 23:32 I don't really enjoy law enforcement stories, but this one seems different from the ones I've read. I'll give it a try when I get the chance. Thank you for the review.
They're pretty good stories. Most of them are not sad and a lot of them are pretty funny. Thanks for the comment
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I’m not really a crime fan, but this book sounds kind of interesting. I would only really enjoy it though if there were strong character development.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Momiji1987 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 18:40 I’m not really a crime fan, but this book sounds kind of interesting. I would only really enjoy it though if there were strong character development.
There is. Thank you.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like such a fun book. I like that the stories seem very entertaining.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

HollandBlue wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 22:10 I like the title of the book, it seems to preview what's coming. A cop's 'memoir' sounds very entertaining and interesting. Thanks for your review!
It is. Every story was very unique. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”