Review by alizeh_19 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
alizeh_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alizeh-19.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Review by alizeh_19 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by alizeh_19 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E. Tavel, M.D is a book on improving the health habits of people. Dr. Tavel is a physician, hence this explains his interest in writing this particular book. I was interested in reading it as I am always keen to know what to eat and what to avoid. And this novel is just on that. Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks contain 62 chapters which are quite overwhelming. However, some chapters consist of only 2 pages.

The book is divided into three parts. Chapters 1 to 32 are about the Health tips, tips for improving the general health. For instance, the possible health benefits of drinking cranberry juice and green tea. The second part is about the myths that exist regarding health issues. Energy drinks are an example of a myth. According to the author, energy drinks should be avoided as it contains excessive caffeine levels. The third part is about the tricks that are used by some to sell their products, for instance, more than 100 million Americans consume dietary supplements. Dr. Tavel is strongly against this and advises the readers to avoid taking these supplements.

The good thing about this novel is that it is arranged by topic. So, if the reader likes to eat chocolate, he can skim through the chapter list and read only that topic instead of going through the whole book. Some chapters had few pages, but were equally rich in content and gave a basic idea of the topic.

I read all the chapters in the book, but I did have some favorite chapters that I enjoyed reading. For instance, the chapter on green tea, drinking cranberry juice, and on limiting the consumption of red meat. The author must have done extensive research on all the topics discussed as he always lists the pros and cons of consuming something. He will say “chocolate contains some components that lower blood pressure, but he will also point out that when taking a close look at chocolate, the story is not uniformly rosy”.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because, whilst, going through the pages, I realized that there were lots of evidence and facts that were presented to support the findings. At times, it turns boring because it requires the reader to focus on the details which can make it strenuous. I think this book will suit people who are keen to improve their health.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like alizeh_19's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”