Review by fernsmom -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by fernsmom -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by fernsmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella the story portrays a doctor's first intern year at Boston City Hospital (BCH). The book shows his day-to-day work in the hospital including interactions with patients, and the relationships he has with fellow employees of the hospital.

The book is written in the narrative form by the intern Slater Barnes, but the unusual part is that some of the book is also narrated by his father from heaven. Slater doesn't know his dad is adding to this narrative story. His father explains that Slater may not give that many details so he is providing them.

Slater joins Boston City Hospital right before one of the hospital's buildings are demolished, and rumors start to fly that the hospital may be closing. Then, shortly after hearing these rumors, the hospital's employees find out the hospital is getting a 250 million dollar loan so they felt better about the chances of the hospital remaining open. The next rumors are that the public Boston City Hospital will merge with their private sister hospital, Academy. Slater and his co-workers are baffled why they only hear about this proposed merger after the fact. The staff at Boston City Hospital weren't told beforehand about the proposed merger, or asked for their input. Most workers at Boston City Hospital want to work at a public hospital which treats everyone and doesn't turn people away for lack of insurance. There are many instances shown of the different mindset of the staff of the private Academy Hospital in which they seem to care more about the insurance, or lack thereof, than the quality of care. Slater, and many of his co-workers of the public hospital, don't see this merger as anything other than harmful for the staff, and for the patients in the community.

Slater unfortunately also is dealing with health issues himself and consuming alcohol has really become a death sentence for him. This is a problem for him and you see his attempts to overcome his addiction At the same time all the drama with the hospital is going on Slater questions his desire to even practice medicine at all because of his health issues.

There is also a mystery as a character in the book is murdered. I will not divulge much about the murder as I don't want to give a spoiler. But I can tell you I didn't guess the murderer, and that I enjoyed reading the other twists at the end of the book.

So, overall I liked the book even though I'm not the biggest fan of narrated books the author presented it in a way that I enjoyed reading it. I felt the author did a great job with the plot and of developing the characters.

But, the one thing that made it a hard read for me was the amount of grammatical errors in the book. With all things considered I have given Days of the Giants a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't give it a 2 star rating as I liked all other aspects of the book other than the errors. I didn't give it a 4 star rating because of the abundance of errors.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like fernsmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A story part narrated by a ghost? How unusual! I couldn't help thinking of the ER series as I read your review. I like when a mystery is shrouded in twists and turns. I, therefore, hope to pick up this book soon. A pity about the errors. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Thank you for your compliment. The errors are excessive, and took away from the story unfortunately. I probably should have mentioned that it was unusual which I personally like ghosts and things but it really was just sort of strange. It really had no purpose in the book other than adding a few details. The main errors were the use of "me" and "I" for example "Jesse and me had fun". Similar to that sentence was used frequently throughout the book. Thanks again for the compliment on the book.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Interesting narration. I like that there is a murder mystery in there also. Thank you!
:tiphat:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I agree with you that the author presented a solid plot and did a great job on character development. Thanks for the review.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 20:53 I agree with you that the author presented a solid plot and did a great job on character development. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your time of reading my review and commenting as well!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I like the idea if the narration being taken up by his late father.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I like to read medical thriller. The errors were a shame.
Thank you for the great review.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 09:07 Great review. I like the idea if the narration being taken up by his late father.
That made it interesting but it was strange since he didn't know his father was narrating part of it. Thank you for your comment and compliment!
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Kajori50 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 06:30 I like to read medical thriller. The errors were a shame.
Thank you for the great review.
Thank you for your comment, and also the compliment. The errors were very numerous and did take away from the story. I would even mention them to my daughter on occasion and she would just shake her head. With a good round of editing I would have easily changed my rating to a 4 though.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The privatisation of public institutions is a topic as delicate as politics itself. As I choose to remain apolitical and nonpartisan, I'd usually leave further discussions on that to the direct internal and external stakeholders. On another light, there are more universally acceptable employee transition processes that both public and private organisations could use to meet financial viability and other considerations without neglecting the human side of HR. Thank you for your succinct review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It seems like this book has a little bit of everything, including mystery.
The subject of privatization is controversial and this isn't probably the appropriate forum for me to discuss it, but suffice to say we should think deeply about it. I'm glad this book brings up important societal subjects like this one and the addiction of the main character.
The combined narration technique seems quite interesting, too.
I'll be adding it to my shelves, thanks!
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

Espie wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 19:53 The privatisation of public institutions is a topic as delicate as politics itself. As I choose to remain apolitical and nonpartisan, I'd usually leave further discussions on that to the direct internal and external stakeholders. On another light, there are more universally acceptable employee transition processes that both public and private organisations could use to meet financial viability and other considerations without neglecting the human side of HR. Thank you for your succinct review.
Thank you for your time and comment (and I apologize it has been so long to tell you of my gratitude!). Personally, I thought it was a good book but sure needed additional editing. There was a lot of politics as you and I both mentioned though but wasn't overdone. Thanks again!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It sounds like the murder mystery was a good one since you didn't guess the murderer. It is good that the book ends strong, but it is too bad about the many errors.
fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom »

LV2R wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 02:50 It sounds like the murder mystery was a good one since you didn't guess the murderer. It is good that the book ends strong, but it is too bad about the many errors.
Thank you for your comment! Will of course return the favor yes, could have been better with some professional editing. Not a bad book though with the surprises and plot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”