Review by Kendra M Parker -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Kendra M Parker -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiram McDowell is the eponymous main character of William H. Coles’s McDowell. In the very first few pages of the prologue, readers meet a rather unlikeable Hiram as he summits Mt. Everest. Coles uses shifting perspectives to allow readers a glimpse into the feelings of both McDowell and his acquaintances as he faces the trials of his journey.

When I first opened this book, I had very little intention of continuing because of how distasteful I found Hiram McDowell as a character. His self-centeredness and narcissism made him a character that was easy to despise. Much to the author’s credit, however, I found myself wondering about McDowell and the other characters. Coles engaged my attention so well that I was drawn back to the book and later found it difficult to put down.

One of the things that I really enjoyed watching was how McDowell’s actions led first to his downfall and then to his redemption as a character. Not only does his character show growth, but a couple of the other characters also demonstrated growth, despite their own flaws. Coles’s characters had complexity and showed his mastery of character development.

While I enjoyed this book, there were a few things that I thought could be better. I found that while Coles allowed several of his female characters to have some interesting freedoms from typical social constructs, such as a lesbian character and a world-traveling journalist, he did himself a disservice by attempting to re-contain these characters into traditional models of femininity before the end of the novel. Where these characters ended seemed inconsistent with their portrayal earlier in the novel.

My other issue with the novel involved the way Coles tended used the same turn of phrase repeatedly throughout the novel. For example, no character simply wears glasses. If a character wears glasses, he or she wears a pair of myopic glasses. Discounting my disagreement about the usage of myopic, I find it frustrating that the author did not utilize other ways to describe the glasses. Sadly, this is only one example of the type of repetition we see in this book.

In the end, I award McDowell 3 out of 4 stars. By providing readers with a set of flawed characters that show growth through the events of the novel, Coles gives fans of literary fiction an engaging coming-of-age story. As mentioned above, I feel there are a few areas where this novel misses the mark, causing the loss of a star. I recommend this book to readers willing to persevere through a couple of chapters with a difficult character to discover something deep and engaging.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's a pity that the author tried to re-constrain the female characters back into the traditional molds of a female. However, this book does seem like one that discusses a variety of deep issues, and that's always welcome. Thanks for the stunning review!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

gen_g wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 02:54 It's a pity that the author tried to re-constrain the female characters back into the traditional molds of a female. However, this book does seem like one that discusses a variety of deep issues, and that's always welcome. Thanks for the stunning review!
You’re right on the money that the author does discuss a variety of deep issues. His primary themes are around what makes a person a good person and taking responsibility for how our own actions impact our circumstances. It’s a far better read than I expected, when I first picked up the book.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I hadn't seen a review of this before that provided so much information about the female characters - thank you for including that. Great review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I agree, the first few pages of the book can discourage one from continuing reading the book, but am glad you didn't give up. Am glad you enjoyed the book too despite the mishaps. Thank you for your honest review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

When I first opened this book, I had very little intention of continuing because of how distasteful I found Hiram McDowell as a character. His self-centeredness and narcissism made him a character that was easy to despise. Much to the author’s credit, however, I found myself wondering about McDowell and the other characters. Coles engaged my attention so well that I was drawn back to the book and later found it difficult to put down.
This happened to me too! I had to force myself to power through it, I absolutely hated Hiram.
While I enjoyed this book, there were a few things that I thought could be better. I found that while Coles allowed several of his female characters to have some interesting freedoms from typical social constructs, such as a lesbian character and a world-traveling journalist, he did himself a disservice by attempting to re-contain these characters into traditional models of femininity before the end of the novel. Where these characters ended seemed inconsistent with their portrayal earlier in the novel.
This is one of the many misogynistic ideas in this book that I was enraged about.
I didn't like this book but I think you made an honest, thorough review, thank you.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I agree with you that McDowell was easy to not like, especially after the mountain climbing episode. The author did make McDowell's character complex enough to wonder if we as readers really saw McDowell's character or just were lead to believe certain things about him because of how he was described. The book made me think about our perceptions of people and how we arrive at the way we think about people.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The more I read about this book, the more I could see the reason why a lot has mixed perceptions about the main character. I've come across a lot of people who have made great changes in their lives for the better; some even became saints or change-makers. Of course, society warrants repercussions for some deeds. But why stop a person from being a better version of oneself?

Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Good Review. Mc Dowell by William H. Coles is an intresting novel, I have read this novel and found the novel is amazing. The redemption of his character is too good in the story. Thanks for your review.
---
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The book discusses a variety of deep topics. Also, McDowell is a pretty complex character. However, the treatment of women irks me a bit.

Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”