Review by Bacmegareader1+ -- Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bacmegareader1+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bacmegareader1.html
Latest Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Review by Bacmegareader1+ -- Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by Bacmegareader1+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Forgiven" by Geoff Lawson.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Following is a review of Forgiven. by:Geoff lawson

I'm going to rate this 1 out of 4 stars. for various reasons but first let me fill you in. Our main character Richard Wilson is apart of the New Zealand military, who is at war with the Boer's in South Africa. Also in this time of war Richard has his love Rachel Purdue, but that doesn't help this novel but I'll fill you in on that later. So let's get to the nitty gritty of this disappointing novel.

Sadly this book was a fail of epic proportions for me. There was a serious lack of everything I need from a book to be considered decent, yes decent. First major fail of this doozie of a novel was the lack luster characters, I didn't learn nearly enough about anyone to actually love them. So alas I ended up not caring about what happened to them or their relationship, although the author tried for what I would call instant love and or lust but failed solely because I couldn't care less about Richard or Rachel. Still I questioned myself " did I miss something?" No, but the author sure did it's called character building or relationship foundation if you will. This began a sure and steady mantra of "God help me care" when I was getting geared up to nope out of this mind numbing disaster. Yet I held out hope for redemption but that was a hope made in vain. So "what else went wrong?" You may be asking well I won't keep you in suspense.

The confusing setting jumps had me feeling like I was in a bad "Back to the future" remake that didn't really clear up in my perception of the book. As an example Richard expressed interest in another woman and I literally had to go back chapters to see if there was a falling out between Richard and Rachel. There was not so I than began mentally yelling "hey Richard last time I checked you were madly in love with rachel! I hope you get another whack from a brolly". Unfortunately this defective and infuriating time machine continues to complicate the flow of the story and in turn leaves me an irritated wreak. However this is also where I saw an improvement! The chapters following the war became a little more interesting and fast paced that I wanted to follow that aspect. Yet it was like waking up Christmas morning just to find Richard's stupidity in the form of coal.

Allow me to elaborate on my last statement. We have our lack luster, boring, straying eyes Richard that we can now add dim witted to his less than impressive description. Now bare with me I can't explain with much detail without comming close to a spoiler. So on two separate but close events our dearest Richard fore goes telling his fellow troop mates important developments all for his personal hygiene. He didn't do this once but twice! Like " hey Richard is it really that important to look and smell like a babies freshly cleaned behind to hold off filling the others in?" In any logical persona brain I wouldn't think so. I'll also let you avid readers know this is also where I became fed up with Richard and Rachel's relationship. It was extremely insipid, annoying, and redundant that it took away from the war chapters. Not that I'd say the war chapters were phenomenal but just a little less soul sucking and depressingly enough stays that way to the very end.

To end this review I shall sum it up in the most honest and blunt way I can. This novel was a garbled, dull, obnoxious work of literature. From it's atrocious characters to the insane time loops that rival your worst party blackout this novel stays bad all the way to its anticlimactic end. So please dear author next time drop the romance altogether and focus entirely on building your characters, you could have had something if you had done that this time around. As for my fellow readers I wouldn't suggest this book to anyone unless it became less headache inducing, so for now I'm going to read a good book to properly apologize to my brain and eyes for insulting them by reading Forgiven.

Forgiven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Bacmegareader1+'s review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”