Review by Bukari -- Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Bukari -- Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by Bukari »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Learn to Play Guitar" by Gareth Evans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learn to Play Guitar is a storybook written by Gareth Evans, and the novel is in the genre of non-fiction. I would say this is a handbook for people who want to become experts in playing guitars and music as well. The book gives everybody the chance to start learning how to play guitar. Beginners would find it very educative as Gareth starts to teach them according to the level of knowledge readers have. Also, intermediate players of guitars would find it very motivating and captivating to learn.

Gareth kicks off the lessons by providing us with an illustration of a guitar and its labels. He gives us the functions of each of the parts of a guitar. The pickup selector switch is used to choose which pickups to use at a time. It changes the sound ranging from a sharp heavy sound to a softer mellow jazzy sound. The tone knob controls the volume ranging from high to low frequencies. It is also known as the treble and bass. A nut, fretboard, bridge, and tuning pegs are the other parts which make up a guitar.

Firstly, I would like to deal with how Gareth edited his work. The grammar is clear which means anybody with a high school education could understand the language used by the author. I thought it was a great way to help readers follow a narrative. There are no clear typographical errors in the novel, and I do thank the editor for the excellent editing of the book.

In addition, I found the illustrations in the work very helpful because I could learn the parts of a guitar from the beginning of the novel. The author started by giving beginners the opportunity to learn the parts and functions of a guitar which was very captivating for me. Furthermore, I had subsequent tutorials on how to hold a guitar and that drew me closer to music.

I like the mnemonic Gareth used to help guitarists memorize in order to remember the various pitch strengths. The mnemonic is "Every Angry Dog Grows Big Ears," and each of the first letters has what they stand for. This quotation made me explore the whole narrative. I have no dislikes about this particular novel.

I, therefore, rate the work 4 out of 4 stars. And I think most of the themes are very educative to readers who appreciate the music we enjoy nowadays. Guitarists go through a lot of strenuous practices and rehearsals before you enjoy the best they give to their audience. I am very sure this narrative would be appealing to people who love music because they could learn how to produce pleasant sounds by taking lessons from this work. This novel might be less intriguing to people who have never seen a guitar or heard the sound guitars produce.

Learn to Play Guitar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bukari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”