Review by Onyinye Excel -- Aluria by Tyler Cook

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by Onyinye Excel -- Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Onyinye Excel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Aluria" by Tyler Cook.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tyler Cook’s book, Aluria – The Aluria Adventures Book 1, is the first in the series of a fictional adventure story of a boy – Jason Conner. Jason tries to save his girlfriend, Tessa from an evil force -Raiz. His act of self-sacrifice awakens the spirit- Aluria in him. He consents to Aluria possessing his body, and together they journey round the world to conquer evil forces.

There were high and low moments in this book. Sometimes Aluria seemed on the verge of being defeated, and at other times, he conquered. I pitied Jason when I learnt his mother died at his father’s hands. This piece of information was divulged in the middle of the story, and I was shocked. I applaud the author’s ability to combine fiction, action, technology, adventure, history, love, suspense, and reality to give a balanced story that had a little bit of everything. The author’s choice of words was also simple enough.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I almost took out one star because of the two errors I encountered in the course of reading the book. I didn’t do it because it was too microscopic compared to the whole read. I also did not give it a 3 because it looked like it was professionally edited and had a very fascinating plot.

There were many interesting scenes in the book, but I particularly liked the fact that Aluria was not the one that defeated Raiz. Raiz died at the hands of Tessa. My reason is that the story would have been predictable if Raiz had died at the hands of Aluria. That is what everyone reading the story would expect. The twist made the story more real because such things do happen. The protagonist in a story may need to be saved by unplanned events.

If there was any scene I did not like, it was when Jason was cornered and forced to reveal his true identity to the head of the CTD department - Lance. My reason is that I predict future problems with that revelation. I don’t think he will shut his mouth.

This book would appeal most to lovers of superman/superhero stories. It would also appeal to lovers of fiction, adventure, romance, and action stories. People who do not like fiction or the idea of a spirit possessing a body would not want to read this book. The same goes for people who do not like adventure, superman, or heroic stories.

I’m interested in reading the continuation of the series. There was a lot of new information revealed at the end of the story. I would love to know what happens next.

Aluria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Onyinye Excel's review? Post a comment saying so!
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

l love the fact that the book had few errors. I find your review refreshing.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Thanks a lot C-Extra. I also appreciated that about the book.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Aluria seems interesting, combining some of my favorite elements. You did give a spoiler though, when you said Raiz died at the hands of Tessa and not Aluria. 😁
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Aluria sounds like an amazing character. I love your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”