Review by Cotwani -- Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Re: Review by Cotwani -- Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Post by Espie »

there is always good and evil going on. We have cops, and we have robbers!
We, humans, could err indeed. When deciding which way to go, it isn't always easy for a number of us. In that case, we could scorn the deed and still value the person enough for that chance at redemption. Kindness has the potentials for tipping the balance towards what would be better. Thank you for shedding light on what is and what could be on this piece and in life through your review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Espie wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 18:28
We, humans, could err indeed. When deciding which way to go, it isn't always easy for a number of us. In that case, we could scorn the deed and still value the person enough for that chance at redemption. Kindness has the potentials for tipping the balance towards what would be better. Thank you for shedding light on what is and what could be on this piece and in life through your review.
Indeed no one is perfect and we all learn from our mistakes. Thanks, Espie for taking the time to read and leaving a response.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an intriguing and exciting read! It's great that there is character development, but a pity about the loss in momentum. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Your review reminded me of this quote: keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. Sounds like our protagonist has invited herself a world pool of trouble. It's very interesting to see where all this leads to. Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

gen_g wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 01:00 This sounds like an intriguing and exciting read! It's great that there is character development, but a pity about the loss in momentum. Thanks for the review!
The book was enjoyable - just numerous minor issues. Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 04:06 Your review reminded me of this quote: keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. Sounds like our protagonist has invited herself a world pool of trouble. It's very interesting to see where all this leads to. Thank you for your detailed review!
Lol, apt quote! You won't believe Jess' no.1 enemy! Thanks for reading and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Cotwani wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 09:04
Indeed no one is perfect and we all learn from our mistakes. Thanks, Espie for taking the time to read and leaving a response.
No worries, Cotwani. By the way, I just noticed that I failed to write a salient point from this piece. It's just sad that the protagonist isn't culpable, and yet she was caught in the complex tangle. I hope she'd make it through and that justice ultimately prevails.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I am afraid we might reach a point, like in this story, in which interactions are no longer necessary. Also, the air in some cities is already considered toxic because it is so polluted. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Yolimari wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 04:24 I am afraid we might reach a point, like in this story, in which interactions are no longer necessary. Also, the air in some cities is already considered toxic because it is so polluted. Thanks for the review!
A frightening reality for sure! I was watching a joke about a family with a rule on no electronics during meal times but each member seeks a distraction to text on their phone discreetly. Thanks for your insightful feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Espie wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 05:16
Cotwani wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 09:04

No worries, Cotwani. By the way, I just noticed that I failed to write a salient point from this piece. It's just sad that the protagonist isn't culpable, and yet she was caught in the complex tangle. I hope she'd make it through and that justice ultimately prevails.
She is normal and amazing at the same time. There are a number of twists which I can't elaborate without giving spoilers.
-Walt Disney
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I enjoyed your review of Salt of the Earth. That is amazing that the author wrote so well that you found yourself almost praying for the characters! I like fast-paced stories with descriptive imagery. I will have to read this one.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

LV2R wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 23:19 I enjoyed your review of Salt of the Earth. That is amazing that the author wrote so well that you found yourself almost praying for the characters! I like fast-paced stories with descriptive imagery. I will have to read this one.
Thanks LV2R. I hope you enjoy the book. I appreciate your stopping by.
-Walt Disney
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

The tense-switching does sound annoying. Fascinating plot though, and one that unfolds over just 3 days- fast-paced indeed! Thanks for the review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! It seems like the author brings a different twist to the dystopic fiction realm. I like that the story is fast paced and that it only develops in three days. Alternating points of view can also be very enriching to the plot. I understand that sometimes alternating past and present tenses can make us lose momentum but, if done properly, I usually find it a valuable narrative tool.
Your review is extremely thorough and refreshingly candid. Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”