Review by Cotwani -- Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Salt of the Earth" by Kate Moschandreas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you consider communicating with a voice inside your head, a divine occurrence or insanity? Welcome to Salt Of The Earth by Kate Moschandreas, where this is actually normal. The technological advancement in this futuristic science fiction thriller is so developed that people have no need of human interaction. They just whisper their question/request and a computer response is spoken in their heads! Moreover, surveillance feeds, doorway scans, drones, and an advanced electronic tracking system ensure everyone is trackable. The year is 2038, and this age-old question is on the dock: Do people do things for others only in exchange for a benefit or are there still in existence, genuinely honest and good people – also known as ‘salt of the earth?’

The protagonists in this riveting drama are Matteo Wu, an observationist (read spy!), and, Jessila Prentis (Jess), a chemical engineering Ph.D. student. Jess' entire research group under David Steubingly, is involved in research on solar and other renewable energy. No water research, no desalination whatsoever! Nevertheless, Jess suddenly finds her life topsy-turvy over a desalination invention she is purportedly working on. She is even scheduled to be signing the invention’s patent rights in a ceremony two days away! The scientist that she is, Jess doesn’t waste time on pinching herself to confirm she is not dreaming. Instead, she lines up her facts, to identify her misunderstanding of the situation: She stumbled upon David - her boss and recent ex, being brutally assaulted by goons from De Sal, check. The goons chased after her and a fishy policewoman responded to her distress call, check. Matteo mysteriously appeared and henceforth stays put at her side, check. A famous scientist demanded, at gunpoint, patent application forms she knows nothing about, check. The ‘fishy’ policewoman reappeared and is very intent on capturing her, check. What is she missing? Jess soon discovers that the key lies in her desalination-unrelated research and, she is just a pawn in a do-or-die game with dangerous players drawn from the government, official water desalination firm (De Sal), greedy scientists and terrorists. Will she even live long enough to get to the bottom of this mystery? Besides, what’s Matteo’s role in all this?

The book is fast paced and intense, with the whole plot unraveling in just three days. It is an exciting hide and seek, near-miss chase that keeps one guessing at who is friend and who is foe. I was so engrossed in the happenings that I almost prayed for the characters! The author’s picturesque writing style and descriptive imagery, tinged with some dry humor, kept me turning the pages for more. Check out this example:
Her thoughts kept drifting upward, like a balloon with strings she must grab before they float away.
The book is divided into three sections corresponding to each of the three days, plus an epilogue or rather, a brief one year later account. Each section is subdivided into chapter-equivalent, alternating points of view between Jess and Matteo, narrated in the third person. This provides an understanding of each character’s inner conflict which in no time has the reader rooting for the character! The plot unfolds around both the bay area and the hills of Berkeley, California, which has been Jess’ home of four months.

There is marked character development in the novel. Jess develops from a very naïve, heart-broken young woman, to one that boldly owns her invention and does exactly what she wants with it. Matteo too - a hurting, cynical, nothing-to-live-for kind of guy develops into a caring man that takes on his boss. There isn't much depth in the other characters, though.

The main theme explored in the book is a humane (salt of the earth) disposition in a technologically advanced but dying world. Yes, dying. You see, the novel paints a gloomy picture where an unchecked climate change has resulted in fog, smog, brown muck, and drought. The smog is so dense that people have to carry oxygen tanks, or might as well smoke four packs! Freshwater is scarce and very expensive. For this reason, various players in the novel will literally kill to own the desalination invention. By it, fresh water will be cheap again, agriculture will rebound, food prices will plummet, and the famine will end. Ideally, the world will be saved. But who amongst these players wears the salt-of-the-earth hat? Greed and manipulation also strongly feature in the plot, proving the adage that there is always good and evil going on. We have cops, and we have robbers!

The only thing I did not like was the author’s consistent switching between past and present tenses throughout the book. Her intention was to probably write flashbacks in past tense and the unfolding plot in the present tense. Whereas this would make sense in a screen script, it created a confusing delivery in the narration. Imagine cruising happily on a suspense high, then suddenly being jolted by a tense change, right in the middle of the narration! This made me lose momentum many times.

The constant tense changes, coupled with the few minor grammar errors I encountered, make me rate Salt Of The Earth 3 out of 4 stars. Because the tense changes did not interfere with my understanding of the plot, I’m sure other people will enjoy the book as well. Lovers of sci-fi and crime thrillers, in particular, will love this novel. The technological advancement reminded me of Julia Roberts’ (writing as RD Robb) ‘in death’ series. If you enjoy fast-paced fiction, then this book is certainly up your alley. I must, however, warn you that there is a bit of gore. To compensate, there is some romance in the air!

Salt of the Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

he book is fast paced and intense, with the whole plot unraveling in just three days.
I am an action buff and this seems like my kind of book. I liked reading your review. You have coherently and lucidly brought out the pros of this book. Thanks for the review.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Salt of the Earth is an exact name given to this book according to its theme. As the technological advancements are increasing day by day, the life is getting so easy that we even don't have a need to turn the side, to move a little bit, to do a hesitation for obtaining the answer to our questions but all can be done well by sitting in a little corner at one place in our home with a device known as tablet, mobile, PC, or smart phone. Thanks for your so gorgeous review. You have selected a good topic.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

What a colourful, thorough review! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on what seems to be a very entertaining book.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

An intense, riveting drama set in the future where a new invention could save the dying world. With the exception of confusing flashbacks, this book sounds like an thrilling read! Great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This is one of those books that sees our future as horribly dystopian with unchecked climate change. I like the idea of describing those who possess humanity as "salt of the earth", with its idea of getting back to our roots. It's great that there's character development within a technological thriller plot. Thanks for a comprehensive and informative review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 08:37
he book is fast paced and intense, with the whole plot unraveling in just three days.
I am an action buff and this seems like my kind of book. I liked reading your review. You have coherently and lucidly brought out the pros of this book. Thanks for the review.
Yes, the book is action-packed. Hope you get to read it. Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 14:35 Salt of the Earth is an exact name given to this book according to its theme. As the technological advancements are increasing day by day, the life is getting so easy that we even don't have a need to turn the side, to move a little bit, to do a hesitation for obtaining the answer to our questions but all can be done well by sitting in a little corner at one place in our home with a device known as tablet, mobile, PC, or smart phone. Thanks for your so gorgeous review. You have selected a good topic.
A sad reality, right? Anyway, there is more than meets the eye with this book. Thanks for taking the time to read and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

stacie k wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 18:34 An intense, riveting drama set in the future where a new invention could save the dying world. With the exception of confusing flashbacks, this book sounds like an thrilling read! Great review!
Yes, the tense-conflict with flashbacks were a bummer but all the same the book was enjoyable. Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Julie Green wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 15:24 What a colourful, thorough review! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on what seems to be a very entertaining book.
Thanks, Julie Green! The book is truly entertaining. I appreciate your stopping by and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 12:14 This is one of those books that sees our future as horribly dystopian with unchecked climate change. I like the idea of describing those who possess humanity as "salt of the earth", with its idea of getting back to our roots. It's great that there's character development within a technological thriller plot. Thanks for a comprehensive and informative review.
Yes, the depicted future is nothing to look forward to. 'Salt of the earth' was an intriguing description. Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Communicating with a voice inside your head sounds weird but it is believable. Being a christain, I believe God can speak to us that way. Exceptional review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That's funny that you almost prayed for one of the characters. Sounds like a very intense story. I hope I can read it.Thank you.🐒
:tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

C-Extra22 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 06:13 Communicating with a voice inside your head sounds weird but it is believable. Being a christain, I believe God can speak to us that way. Exceptional review.
You are right, I too believe God does speak that way. In the book, however, it is an advanced technology in which skin-colored flexible titanium alloy strips are placed on the bones directly behind her ears to receive messages from a wrist gadget Wi-Fi signal and relay them to the ear bone as vibrations that inside the head sound like speech. That is sci-fi for you!

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 23:20 That's funny that you almost prayed for one of the characters. Sounds like a very intense story. I hope I can read it.Thank you.🐒
Lol, the book was so engaging that at some point it looked like it was over for some characters! Hope you get to read it, and you enjoy it as much as I did!

I appreciate your stopping by and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”