Review by JHuschle519 -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by JHuschle519 -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by JHuschle519 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Engine Woman's Light, by Laurel Anne Hill, takes place in a world that is somehow both supernatural and realistic feeling at the same time. Juanita’s story begins when she is just a baby, on a train destined for an awful place for the forgotten people of the world. She is being transported by an elderly woman, destined for the same horrid location, who discovers in route that she is the child’s Grandmother. With the help of her late husband’s spirit, she is able to get Juanita to a safe place, although it costs her her life. Juanita’s story picks up again 16 years later. She has grown into a strong young woman, and like the grandmother who rescued her, she can speak to her dead ancestors. Those ancestors have an important mission for her, one that will change the future of her people forever.

This book was my first step into the steampunk genre, so I’m afraid I have very little to compare it to, but I did find the story to be extremely enjoyable. Laurel Anne has a lot of talent, and she can describe her world so well that you can picture it vividly in your mind. Her characters are also very well written. None of them struck me as one-dimensional, which is something I really appreciate. The book was also well edited. I did not come across any grammatical errors while reading it.

There is a good deal of sexual content in this book, and some of it is quite graphic and violent, so I wouldn’t recommend it to younger readers. I feel like most adults would really enjoy this book, especially if they are already a fan of the genre. The story is fast-paced, but it is not predictable. There were many points where I thought I knew what was about to happen, only to find myself pleasantly surprised.

One of the things I like most about this book was the ending. I don’t want to give any spoilers, so all I will say is that it was another one of those unexpected moments I mentioned. Often, I find myself in love with the bulk of a novel, but kind of let down by the ending. This was not the case with The Engine Woman’s Light.

Overall, I would rate The Engine Woman’s Light as 4 out of 4 stars. The only way I could see someone not enjoying it is if they despise the steampunk genre, in which case I would be surprised that they picked up the book at all. For everyone else, it is an amazing read.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JHuschle519's review? Post a comment saying so!
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

This book was my first step into the steampunk genre, so I’m afraid I have very little to compare it to, but I did find the story to be extremely enjoyable. Laurel Anne has a lot of talent, and she can describe her world so well that you can picture it vividly in your mind. Her characters are also very well written. None of them struck me as one-dimensional, which is something I really appreciate. The book was also well edited. I did not come across any grammatical errors while reading it.
I don't think I've read any steampunk, so this might be a good place for me to start. I like paranormal stories, (not so found of graphically violent sexual content) but I will put it on my list for the future.

Thanks for your review!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I have read and reviewed this book as well. I am glad you enjoyed the book. However, I found the graphical content to be a bit too much.

Thank you for the great review.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

Kajori50 wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 07:56 I have read and reviewed this book as well. I am glad you enjoyed the book. However, I found the graphical content to be a bit too much.

Thank you for the great review.
Yeah, I can definitely see how it would be a bit much for a lot of readers.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I too read and reviewed this novel. I found parts of this book enjoyable and parts of the book to be boring. I was okay with the sexual content but I was thoroughly disappointed with the ending. I am glad to know that you enjoyed this novel. Thanks for the review!
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 07:24 I too read and reviewed this novel. I found parts of this book enjoyable and parts of the book to be boring. I was okay with the sexual content but I was thoroughly disappointed with the ending. I am glad to know that you enjoyed this novel. Thanks for the review!
It's interesting ... I've read through several reviews on this book, and it seems like everyone either loved or hated the ending, with no in-between. Thanks for your comment.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

FictionLover wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 07:34
I don't think I've read any steampunk, so this might be a good place for me to start. I like paranormal stories, (not so found of graphically violent sexual content) but I will put it on my list for the future.

Thanks for your review!
Even if you end up not liking this particular book, it did give me an appreciation for what the steampunk genre has to offer. I would definitely give it a shot.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I completely agree that Ms. Hill fleshed out the characters well. I had a bit of trouble with sexual content, but not enough to stop me from finishing the book. I actually got the ending I had been hoping for! Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”