Review by mariakavo88 -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by mariakavo88 -- Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by mariakavo88 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century Escape by Mark Kingston starts off in the 30th century where Captain Jennifer Hero and her team of the “Naturals” need to go back in time to destroy the “Syndos”. The Syndos are a group of genetically modified humans who lack morals. Because of this, the naturals are at risk of becoming extinct. Jenifer’s team goes back to the 27th century to stop the genetic defect that lead to the creation of the Syndos; however, at the last-minute Jennifer decides to leave her team and go back to the 21st Century to grieve her lost love and start over there.

Jennifer lands in the 21st Century on a deserted island. Jennifer survives on this island for four months, before being discovered by marine biologist Marty Zitonick and his research team. Even though Jennifer has been stranded for four months, to the surprise of Marty and her team Jennifer is in exceptional health. To explain her presence Jennifer claims amnesia. At time this façade becomes hard to maintain as Jennifer is extremely intelligent and has almost super-human strength. At least to the humans of this time.

Despite the obstacles Jennifer faces she is able to make friends, start a relationship, and get accepted into a Doctoral program at the University of Hawaii. Regardless of Jennifer’s good fortune, she often struggles with her choice to leave her team and friends in the 30th Century behind. She also struggles with not being able to tell those she cares about who she really is. At times this poses a great challenge for Jennifer, one that she must either decide to live with, or fix her wrongs somehow.

Mark Kingston does an exceptional job of describing the scenes around you. A reader can visualize the waterfalls on the various islands and the sea life in the under-water adventures described in his book. It is clear by his descriptions that he is well traveled and has visited many of the places described in his novel. Kingston also describes many of the scientific procedures in depth that may be difficult for those who are not well versed in science to understand. Although the author attempts to describe these procedures and processes in layman’s terms, they can be difficult to follow and can make the reader lose interest at times.
At times the story line seemed to get lost and some characters that were mentioned in the beginning, did not resurface again till the very end, and almost seemed to be an afterthought. There were points throughout the story where the plot seemed unrealistic, as everything seemed to fall perfectly into place for Jennifer and she experienced little to no conflict once she arrived in the 21st century.

Despite these few minor flaws I enjoyed the book, and I enjoyed Jennifer Hero’s character. She was smart, intelligent and strong. I did find some errors throughout the book, both grammatical and spelling, as well as some spacing issues. This could be distracting to some but did not deter away from my reading experience. I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars because of the errors, along with the shallow plot at points throughout the book.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy the sci-fi genre, as well as, those who enjoy adult and romance novels. Because of the mature scenes described in this book I would not recommend this book to younger audiences and those who dislike erotic scenes, because there are a lot of them described in great detail throughout the book.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mariakavo88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Thank you mariakavo88 for your interesting review. I like sci-fi books and think I might give this one a try. Thanks for the warning about the graphic sex scenes.
mariakavo88

Post by mariakavo88 »

Jsovermyer wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 22:35 Thank you mariakavo88 for your interesting review. I like sci-fi books and think I might give this one a try. Thanks for the warning about the graphic sex scenes.
Yes there was some erotic scenes, but it was still a good book and I enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy it as well.
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

The book is great despite the few flaws here and there. I agree with you that a time plot seems to be unrealistic. From the character point of view, I found that those character in the 27th century were greatly left out. The author should have created a concurrent story of both 21st and 27th century.
mariakavo88

Post by mariakavo88 »

vinkipc wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 11:33 The book is great despite the few flaws here and there. I agree with you that a time plot seems to be unrealistic. From the character point of view, I found that those character in the 27th century were greatly left out. The author should have created a concurrent story of both 21st and 27th century.
I feel as though he may have added them for a possible sequel. But as you said they seemed like they were going to be major characters only to be left out for the majority of the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”