Review by sonya01 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Review by sonya01 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book Review – Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! By Len Foley

I am one of those people who will read a book purely because I like the title. My interest is quickly captured by anything quirky, funny or a little unusual, often before having any idea what the story is about. Certainly, if an author can invest that much thought into an eye-catching title, the rest of the book can’t be too bad either.

This was true for Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! I saw it and had to smile. Which parent hasn’t come across a stinky sock and joked around with their child, teasing and making all the appropriate sound effects? This short story begins with the arresting statement, ‘Something stinks about this book.’ Sigfried goes on to try and work out what could be causing the awful smell coming from the pages of his book: a rotten banana, some pizza, even dog pee has somehow managed to soil the pages. It gets worse: he postulates it could be from when his brother wiped his nose on it, or from the time his baby sister used it on her dirty behind…

It's just the sort of stinky, smelly narrative that would make a young child squeal with laughter!

The story reveals a variety of possible reasons for the foul smell before Sigfried confesses the book has been in contact with his dirty, unwashed socks. He embarks on a scheme to get rid of the smells, but his solution is not quite what I was expecting!

This book is written in rhyme, in simple sentences that a child would easily understand. The typeface is large and fun, and the author cleverly restricts his ideas to one per page. The different socks are highlighted, one by one, and this part can even be used to teach colours and patterns to young children. Some comments are quite nonsensical - who on earth puts mustard on their waffles? – but these are sure to raise a giggle from a young reader.

I did, however, have a problem with the sequencing of the story. We are first told about all the unpleasant things that are causing the book to smell. Next, the socks are introduced in detail. Following that, there is more about other smelly culprits before we get back to the socks again. This seems to make the whole storyline a little chaotic.

Another issue is the awkward rhyming in certain places. Sometimes the meter and rhythm fall magically into place; at other times they seem forced and the rhyme doesn’t quite work. I would have liked to have seen one rhyming pattern used throughout the story to make it flow better.

I must commend the author on his outstanding illustrations. Some look like surreal cartoon drawings and others are photographs, but they all form a colourful and engaging complement to the story. The multiple pictures on each page are sure to hold a child’s attention. There is even a little fly that makes an appearance every few pages, no doubt attracted to the stench!

The editing was good with very few errors. An illustration of a potato is labelled as a turnip but this is not a critical issue. I think this book deserves a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because it is so entertaining and original. Just a few editorial adjustments should see it easily achieve a perfect score. The ending is both unexpected and funny, and I’m certain this book will appeal not only to smaller children but also to adults who are young at heart. 

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sonya01's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I've read many reviews of this book, and it does indeed seem like a great book for younger children. Thanks for the review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

It's just the sort of stinky, smelly narrative that would make a young child squeal with laughter!
I liked the way you used your adjectives to enliven your review. :) I am not a sucker for children's books but it seems that young readers will love this book. Thanks for the review!
Sonya Nicolaidis

gen_g wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 01:14 I've read many reviews of this book, and it does indeed seem like a great book for younger children. Thanks for the review!
Hi. I really enjoyed reviewing this delightful book and want to try more from this author. Many thanks for stopping by. :)
Sonya Nicolaidis

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 10:47
It's just the sort of stinky, smelly narrative that would make a young child squeal with laughter!
I liked the way you used your adjectives to enliven your review. :) I am not a sucker for children's books but it seems that young readers will love this book. Thanks for the review!
:lol: Hi Debjani! Sometimes you find a book that's really easy to review - the words have a life of their own. Thanks for the encouragement!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Excellent review! Sounds like a fun children's story that just needs a few tweaks here and there. I agree with you about the rhyme and metre in poetry, especially in wacky poetry for kids - it should be spot-on to really work.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

A great review for a fun book for kids. I liked your take on the story.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

kislany wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 01:23 A great review for a fun book for kids. I liked your take on the story.
Where have you been hiding, girl?

I'm glad Sigfried and sonya01 were able to coax you from hibernation. :wink2:

I also enjoyed this book, except for the ending. :o Sigfried, while doing his final act, could've been singing, "I did it my way!" (Do kids of this generation even know that song?)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”