Review by Kajori50 -- Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review by Kajori50 -- Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Learn to Play Guitar" by Gareth Evans.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learn to Play Guitar: A comprehensive guide for beginners and intermediate players by Gareth Evans, is an instructional guide for learning to play the guitar. The book indeed does justice to its title.

In a span of just seven chapters, the author sheds light on “areas such as technique, theory, and fret-board layout”. In a simple and lucid language, he elucidates the complicated aspects of the subject matter. In the first chapter, the author introduces the reader to the very basics of guitar playing like the proper way to hold the guitar, use a pick, tune a guitar, tablature, and fret-board diagrams. Chapter two talks about the fret-board layout and the various scales. Chapter three is all about chords, triads, and the strumming technique. In Chapter four, the author discusses things like playing by shapes, fretting exercises, transposing by the root note, power chords, and pentatonic scales. Chapter five delves deeper into rhythm as well as talks about tied notes and working out strumming patterns by ear. In Chapter six, the author discusses further techniques. He explains things like movable barre chord, palm muting, lead playing techniques, improvising, etc. In the last chapter, Evans gives the reader some tips. He explains the ideal way to practice. He even lists some stretching exercises and gives step by step instructions to string a guitar.

I have always wanted to play the guitar. I am even a proud owner of one. However, I have never had the opportunity to get down to the business of actually learning to play it. Hence, Learn to Play Guitar: A comprehensive guide for beginners and intermediate players by Gareth Evans, was like a boon to me. It finally set me on the course to complete my quest to learn to play the guitar. I found this book to be particularly helpful.

The author incorporated over 180 photographic examples, illustrations, and diagrams to simplify the learning process. He even added 42 downloadable mp3 tracks of band demos and backing tracks. These were recorded by Evans himself. In fact, some of the tracks were composed by him as well. He also included some helpful exercises and stretches at the end of the book. I believe the tips shared by him would be of great aid to an experienced guitarist as well. This showcased the author's dedication to the book and his passion for guitars. Even a novice reader could very well understand the author's expertise on the subject matter. All this made the learning process all the more interesting.

Evans also gave notations of popular songs to engage the reader's attention. I loved the fact that by the end of the first chapter, I could play a song. By the end of the book, I could play two songs, namely ‘Jingle Bells, and ‘Twinkle Twinkle' properly. Now, I can also play some other tunes and chords. I have to mention that the questions given after each chapter was really helpful. Evans was thoughtful enough to add the answers at the end of the book. This gave me a firm grasp of the subject matter. I believe that this would be an immense help to many, especially guitar instructors. They can use this to frame questions for their students.

The writing style adopted by Evans is simple and smooth. However, sometimes the long sentences, and the presence of a few errors hampered my concentration. This is the only complain that I have regarding the book.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think that this book would be a treat to any guitar enthusiast. I would recommend it to beginners, intermediate players, self-taught guitarists as well as guitar instructors. This book is a great stepping stone in the world of guitarists.

Learn to Play Guitar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The author incorporated over 180 photographic examples, illustrations, and diagrams to simplify the learning process. He even added 42 downloadable mp3 tracks of band demos and backing tracks.
Though I'm not guitar playing inclined, I believe the fact that the author pours a lot of passion in ensuring the learner understands the content, the book must be very helpful. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Cotwani wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 08:46
The author incorporated over 180 photographic examples, illustrations, and diagrams to simplify the learning process. He even added 42 downloadable mp3 tracks of band demos and backing tracks.
Though I'm not guitar playing inclined, I believe the fact that the author pours a lot of passion in ensuring the learner understands the content, the book must be very helpful. Great review!
Indeed, it is a very helpful book. Thank you for stopping by. :)
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Wow would really be interested in a book as this. Thanks for the review. Says alot about the book.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kajori Sheryl Paul

topdan30 wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 13:11 Wow would really be interested in a book as this. Thanks for the review. Says alot about the book.
Hope you like it. Thank you for your feedback. :)
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am not into guitar playing but this seems like a truly resourceful book for those who want to learn to play guitar. It was a well-organized review. Looking forward to reading more from you.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 08:33 I am not into guitar playing but this seems like a truly resourceful book for those who want to learn to play guitar. It was a well-organized review. Looking forward to reading more from you.
Yes, it is quite a handy book. Thank you so much for your kind comments. :)
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The author incorporated over 180 photographic examples, illustrations, and diagrams to simplify the learning process. He even added 42 downloadable mp3 tracks of band demos and backing tracks. These were recorded by Evans himself. In fact, some of the tracks were composed by him as well. He also included some helpful exercises and stretches at the end of the book. I believe the tips shared by him would be of great aid to an experienced guitarist as well. This showcased the author's dedication to the book and his passion for guitars. Even a novice reader could very well understand the author's expertise on the subject matter. All this made the learning process all the more interesting.

Upon following this paragraph of your review, it seems a good explanation of the book according to its title. I have read the reviews other members have written but your is unique due to the above paragraph. Thanks for your review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Welcome. :D Thank you so much for your kind comments. :)
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a great guide for people wanting to learn guitar, especially with the incorporation of photographs for easier learning. Thanks for the review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

gen_g wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 04:45 This sounds like a great guide for people wanting to learn guitar, especially with the incorporation of photographs for easier learning. Thanks for the review!
Welcome. Thank you for stopping by. :)
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

This is a very thorough review. I got the chance to review this book. Sad to say, the audios did not play. I wonder if the audios in your ebook function well. I was able to learn from this book, too.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm really not into playing guitar, but I can see the author's hard work and passion put into making this book. I'm sure a lot readers would find this read resourceful. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Dolor wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 01:14 This is a very thorough review. I got the chance to review this book. Sad to say, the audios did not play. I wonder if the audios in your ebook function well. I was able to learn from this book, too.
Nope , they didn't function as well. Thank you for stopping by. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 04:37 I'm really not into playing guitar, but I can see the author's hard work and passion put into making this book. I'm sure a lot readers would find this read resourceful. Thank you for your review!
Welcome. Thank you for stopping by. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”