Review by Amy+++ -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Review by Amy+++ -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Amy+++ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine staging a coup in another land a land full of monsters, magic and see-through people. Echoland is in need, Echoes are dying, the true king is dead and his brother, the false king is in charge. Will Cleary is a Sound, and his reflection is called an Echo, a see-through person who lives in Echoland. Before his death the true king caused some commotion in Echoland by wanting to abolish the Law of Death, a law that says if a Sound dies so must their Echo. Now in order to save his long-lost twin sister, Emmy, Will must also save Echoland from the Law of Death. In order to do this Will and his Echo, the prince of Echoland must prove the true king's innocence in a theft, find the true king's killer and dethrone the false king all before Will and his Echo's thirteenth birthday. Monsters, magic, and friendship all happen within the pages of The Crystilleries of Echoland.

First off, I would like to complement the author on a great job of creating and describing Echoland. The magical world of Echoland was beautifully created and described without overwhelming detail. Secondly, I would like to complement Andy Simmons and Tal Boldo for creating the 82 colorful and beautiful illustrations that accompany the book as you follow Will and his friends on their quest. These were an excellent addition to the book. Between Dew's words and Andy and Tal's illustrations, Echoland was as crystal clear as the see-through people who reside there. While there were a great many things that I loved about the book, there were a few things that I did not enjoy. For example, there was a scene where some animals were being violently killed. This did not appeal to me. Also, some of the subplots dragged on for most of the book, slowing it down at times.

While reading, I only found two errors within the book, proving that the book was professionally edited. One error was a missing question mark, another error was a set of quotes that didn't need to be at the end of a paragraph. I almost missed these two small errors, as I was so engrossed in the story.

With only two errors and a beautifully written story, I rate The Crystilleries of Echoland, by Dew Pellucid 4 out of 4 stars. Even though the book slowed down at times due the multiple subplots, each one was beautifully written and had a sense of adventure and excitement. I would give this book 5 stars if I could. Each chapter is full of excitement and friendship and has an easy storyline to follow that I couldn't help but get lost in Echoland.

As for my recommendation children, 15 and up should only read this book due to some graphic animal content. I feel that younger children would become upset by the animal deaths and a suicide. However, children who do read this book will be transported to a magical place where anything is possible.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amy+++'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

A wonderful story about friendship and strength.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I love the concept. I would definitely like to know more about Echoland.
Thank you for the great review.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

Thank you for the comment!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Echoland- where you die but your echo doesn't! It sounds magical. I think it would be an enchanting read!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You make this book sound enchanting. I hope to visit Echoland soon. I'm sure this will be a big hit with kids.

Superb job, Amy+++. This is A+.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This sounds like a fun and exciting account of a parallel universe where magic resides. This will definitely be a hit with the YA audience. Thanks for the review!
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 17:19 You make this book sound enchanting. I hope to visit Echoland soon. I'm sure this will be a big hit with kids.

Superb job, Amy+++. This is A+.
Thank you so much for the lovely comment. It was a great place to visit and I hope you get to go as well!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I loved the premise of this book. I hope the lands will keep expanding with time. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”