Review by Ma Cheryll -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Ma Cheryll -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Ma Cheryll »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin is originally a native Russian fantasy book, translated craftily to perfection by Litworld, whose vision is to create a new comprehensive publishing ecosystem wherein they connect writers with their global audience. Believing that good books should be available to all, they went on a mission to find, what they call, the gems of modern literature and bring them nearer to English-language readers. Becoming the Dragon is the first out of five books of The Dragon Inside series.

The book opens showing a typical family, identifying our main character, Andy Kerimov, as a simple, responsible, middle-child teenager, who loves to help his mom take care of his sisters, Irina, the older one and Olga, their youngest, and loves his little pup Bon too. The old Andy used to love engaging in computer gaming until a lightning accident occurred, changing his whole life. It left an great effect on how electronic objects react when he gets near them, they become static and freeze up. That's why he went on to adopt new hobbies like reading books, riding his bicycle and rollerblades, going to the gym at night, learned archery with the help of their old neighbor, Sergey, and grew a passion for cooking. He learned to prepare delicious culinary delights that even his very picky eater sister, Olga, could not resist. And as if things were not hard enough for him yet, his father, one day, asked for him to come to his workplace where he stumbled into some scientific experiment in the laboratory, which transported him to an unknown wilderness, in a land called llanta, where human and supernatural beings co-exist. This is where his life threatening challenges and adventures begin, as he starts to develop new magic skills and continue his fight for justice, reincarnated as a dragon. Through all these troubles he encountered, Andy learns about his true potential, but he also learned that everything comes at a price! Good for him, he accidentally freed Karegar the Dragon, who later became his mentor and foster father.

The highlights and adventures proceeding Andy's becoming a dragon are so vivid and intense. Congratulations to our author for having such a great talent in his style of writing. With all its twists and turns, readers would find themselves hanging at the edge of their seats! The cliff-hanger ending urges the readers to go and grab a copy of the next book in its series!

I just saw this one error and I thought I'd take note of this, in the Kingdom of Rimm, Raston. Nirel. part, Loc. 1523 "The invitation to the ball in honor of King Hudd's youngest daughter's fourteenth birthday caught him *unawares; he wondered for a long time who might have assisted him in this matter." The correct word should be *unaware, without an "s", although I think it's just a small thing compared to the way the whole book was beautifully written.

With that being said, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I believe any fantasy lover, not only young adults but even the matured ones, would truly enjoy this book! I won't be surprise either if this would have a movie version like the hit fantasy movies The Chronicles of Narnia or The Neverending Story.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Ma Cheryll's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We are in an age of a computer-centric world of artificial intelligence, augmented or virtual reality, Internet of Things, and the like that increases efficiency and productivity but not perfectly without the hiccups at times. Occasionally unplugging our young ones from their adopted comfort zones and to drive them to focus back to the basics we, their parents, are more accustomed to could indeed tend to be daunting. This book seems to have taken the protagonist way further back than that, yet it's good that he found a worthwhile learning curve along the way. With a well-known, commonly liked theme and if as impeccably written as you've described it to be, then this piece could indeed appeal to its genre's fans. Thank you for your descriptive review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Well done on your review. You give a comprehensive outline on the story that makes me want to read it. I enjoy fantasy, so I might pick this one up.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have read and reviewed this book before. I found the author's work fascinating, and I'm sure a lot readers would enjoy this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Espie wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 03:24 We are in an age of a computer-centric world of artificial intelligence, augmented or virtual reality, Internet of Things, and the like that increases efficiency and productivity but not perfectly without the hiccups at times. Occasionally unplugging our young ones from their adopted comfort zones and to drive them to focus back to the basics we, their parents, are more accustomed to could indeed tend to be daunting. This book seems to have taken the protagonist way further back than that, yet it's good that he found a worthwhile learning curve along the way. With a well-known, commonly liked theme and if as impeccably written as you've described it to be, then this piece could indeed appeal to its genre's fans. Thank you for your descriptive review.
Yes I agree @Espie♥️My husband and I have done that too, years ago, when our son’s younger👦🏻 Now he’s an adult already and is able to balance his time with work and play and most of all his commitment to serve the Lord through our Church’s Music Team. Thank you very much for sharing dear♥️And thank you for reading my review and leaving this wonderful comment :tiphat: God bless you and your family🙏🏡
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

melissy370 wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 07:14 Well done on your review. You give a comprehensive outline on the story that makes me want to read it. I enjoy fantasy, so I might pick this one up.
Thank you so much for this nice comment @Melissy370 :tiphat: Yes, please! I hope you’d enjoy reading this wonderful book as much as i did :D Best regards!
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 08:17 I have read and reviewed this book before. I found the author's work fascinating, and I'm sure a lot readers would enjoy this read. Thank you for your review!
Wow😃great to know you’ve read and reviewed this fantastic adventure book too @Sahani Nimandra♥️Yes, i’m sure readers who love this kind of genre will be swarming Amazon to get their own copy so that they too will be able to enjoy the journey, reading it for themselves :techie-studyingbrown: again, thanks for reading and commenting :tiphat: God bless you and your family too🙏🏡
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It’s interesting to see how “unplugged” Andy chooses to spend his time. This book seems well written and full of twists and turns in relating Andy’s adventures. I don’t normally choose fantasy, but this one has my interest. Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

stacie k wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 18:01 It’s interesting to see how “unplugged” Andy chooses to spend his time. This book seems well written and full of twists and turns in relating Andy’s adventures. I don’t normally choose fantasy, but this one has my interest. Thanks for your informative review!
Thank you so much @stacie k :tiphat: for taking time out to read my review and for leaving me this nice comment too♥️God bless you even more🙏🏡😇
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a great fantasy book to read. I am interested in finding out what happens to him after he becomes a dragon. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Andy seemed a responsible son and brother. I'm curious how his character changes in his new role, and how his family copes without him. Your review has piqued my interest. Good work!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I really enjoyed this book when I read it myself. I can see how the use of unawares might be confusing, but I know that other English speaking countries have odd ways of speaking. I think that in this case, it would mean surprise or unprepared. Just something to consider since I have also come across odd sounding phrases to my ears, but then again my book takes place in the UK.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin is originally a native Russian fantasy book, translated craftily to perfection by Litworld, whose vision is to create a new comprehensive publishing ecosystem wherein they connect writers with their global audience. Believing that good books should be available to all, they went on a mission to find, what they call, the gems of modern literature and bring them nearer to English-language readers. Becoming the Dragon is the first out of five books of The Dragon Inside series.
I'm not especially keen on reading fantasy, but I'm definitely all for backing up this kind of project.
I think its twists and turns, as well as its good edition and interesting characters, can make a great read for people who enjoy fantasy.
Thank you for your enthusiastic review!
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Fantasy genre books are always a treat to readers. Very neat and clear review of the book. Thanks.
---
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I am curious about the culinary skills that the main character learnt. Thanks for the deep review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”