Review by Sushan -- Oblivion Threshold

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Review by Sushan -- Oblivion Threshold

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Oblivion Threshold" by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You are gifted with the most powerful ability in the universe, and you can use it to save the whole human kind from imminent destruction. But in the process, you may destroy the whole universe, including the human kind. What will you do? Oblivion Threshold by J R Mabry and B J West, the first book of The Oblivion Saga series, is woven around this matter.

A group of aliens, who are almost invincible, are coming towards the earth while destroying the human colonies and space ships, with which they come across. Our protagonist, Captain Jeff Bowers, who only accepts individual missions, after his team getting killed in an operation named ‘Catskill’ (This is offered as a free book along with the first book. It is a short book with only 17 pages and can download via the link given. If you are a one who wants every minor detail about a book, like me, I recommend you to read this book, Operation Catskill), is assigned to spy on alien activity. But during the mission he dies, and mysteriously been resurrected by another set of aliens. And with that, he is gifted with an ability to shrink the space between objects and move them as he wishes. His superiors try to use this ability to survive from the alien attack, but the power is too dangerous to handle. What will they gain with it? Will they succeed or will they destroy the whole universe?

This is a sci-fi thriller, and my copy came with only 142 pages. It was divided into 10 chapters, prologue and epilogue.

First of all, the reader has to orient himself to the setting of the story. The time period is far away into future from current time, so as the science and technology. Humans have inhabited the space up to several light years. In that background, an action packed, thrilling story is imparted.

Though the main picture is so, few aspects of human relationships and romance is discussed a bit as well, but with no disruption to the main theme of the story. Though it carries fictional scientific matter, some real scientific details are also included as necessary. One such example is, mentioning that the damage of electricity is determined not by the voltage, but by the amperage.

Besides those noteworthy facts, there were many more things that I liked about this book. It was written in very simple language, which facilitated an easy and a quick read. Each and every scene was connected with no gaps so, could keep up with the story with no effort. Scenic descriptions were superb, and the experience was more like watching a movie, rather than reading a novel.

Arguments were nicely built, covering all aspects of the arguments. The theories which are found in science fiction like the ‘fourth dimension’, were discussed using appropriate dialogues, without any disruption to the flow. Finally, the book was end at the most suitable point (Though I felt that it was too short) and the epilogue gave me the undeniable urge to read the next book as well.

The proof reading was done very well and no errors were noted.

The only thing, that made the understating of the book a bit rough at the beginning was, the selection of names of characters. All main characters had names starting with ‘J’ (Jennings, Jo, Jeff), and I was bit confused with character identification till I read few pages.

So, with all that, I give this a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all sci-fi lovers, including younger readers, since it had no sexually explicit content.

Oblivion Threshold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sushan's review? Post a comment saying so!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Glad to see other readers enjoyed this book as well. I enjoyed reading your review. I really liked the book and whole-heartedly agree with you hat lovers of science fiction and readers of all ages could like this book. My copy on my nook was a lot less than noted which since it really was a good book was a bit of a disappointment though.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

fernsmom wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 13:54 Glad to see other readers enjoyed this book as well. I enjoyed reading your review. I really liked the book and whole-heartedly agree with you hat lovers of science fiction and readers of all ages could like this book. My copy on my nook was a lot less than noted which since it really was a good book was a bit of a disappointment though.
Thanks for the kind reply. I am glad that you enjoyed my review :tiphat:

- Bill Gates -

Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I'm not really into aliens but this book sounds fun. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Sushan Ekanayake

Book Lover 35 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 00:23 I'm not really into aliens but this book sounds fun. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for the kind review. It is not all about aliens. You can give a try and see

- Bill Gates -

Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

Great review, Sci-fi is not my first preference, but this book seems to have an interesting point of view.
Sushan Ekanayake

Radiant3 wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 12:39 Great review, Sci-fi is not my first preference, but this book seems to have an interesting point of view.
Thanks for your kind reply. Try this and you will not regret.

- Bill Gates -

Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

I like sci-fi books loaded with thrilling aspects of time-machine and events taking place light years ahead from our time. Thanks for writing an excellent review.
Sushan Ekanayake

Sirajuddin wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 02:26 I like sci-fi books loaded with thrilling aspects of time-machine and events taking place light years ahead from our time. Thanks for writing an excellent review.
Thank you very much for the comment and extremely sorry for the delayed reply

- Bill Gates -

Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

Captain Jeff is tasked with such a heavy burden and responsibility I'd love to read more about what he did with his power.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Sushan Ekanayake

Taylor Danvers wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 12:58 Captain Jeff is tasked with such a heavy burden and responsibility I'd love to read more about what he did with his power.
You will definitely enjoy the read. Thanks for stopping by 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”