Review by jcoad -- The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Review by jcoad -- The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Post by jcoad »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Broadcast" by Liam Fialkov.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what really happened the night Nicole Simpson died? Would you think differently about the Civil War if you could watch thousands of men dying on the fields of Gettysburg? Would you want to watch the crucifixion of Christ if possible? This technology is possible, and these questions are pondered in the pages of The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov.

The life-long consequences of a teenage mother, Sarah, forced to give up a child for adoption, and the mystery behind the riveting “broadcasts” drives the intermingled stories in this book. Sarah, unable to get pregnant with her husband is driven to adulterous affairs and impulsive decisions as she strives to have another baby to hold in her arms. The media, the government, and the world are captivated by the mind-blowing weekly broadcasts of past events that could have never been filmed. Are they real? Are they phony? Do we want to see this? Should we see this? One reporter is determined to find out and will go to any means to solve the mystery.

The multiple stories slowly come together piece by piece. Sarah and the baby she gave away start to make their way towards each other. The determined reporter continues to peel away layers and get closer to the truth behind the broadcasts. Sarah’s downtrodden, but loyal husband plays his part in his mysterious hideaway deep in the woods. The exciting finale brings everything full circle and answers all questions. Was it real? You will have to read the book.

I enjoyed the concept and creativity provided by the “broadcast” technology. Initially, you think this technology would be amazing, and then you begin to understand the downside of literally an all-seeing eye. It was thought-provoking that religious leaders were the group most up in arms as the broadcasts went further and further back in time. The little glimpses of historical events included in the broadcasts were also interesting. I appreciated all the loose ends being tied up nicely at the end of the story.

The downfall of this book was the lack of believability and too many plot lines and not enough satisfactory endings. Why does the government not seem to care at all about this technology? Why is the reporter convinced it is fake when it solved multiple cold case mysteries? Sarah’s affairs and behavior were too extreme to believe. Yes, it all wrapped up nicely, but too quickly and the logic leaps taken to reach some conclusions were unrealistic.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This book had so much potential I wanted it to blow me away. However, it didn’t deliver even one satisfying end to a story. I feel it deserves a 2-star rating as I love the concept behind the book. This story would appeal to mystery novel fans. I would not consider it suitable for thriller or romance novel enthusiasts.

The Broadcast
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jcoad's review? Post a comment saying so!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

A very nicely written review. I especially enjoyed your summary.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The broadcast technology intrigues me. However, I am not too keen about the many plot lines and unsatisfactory endings.

Thank you for the great review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A book filled with so many plots, and an unsatisfying end to each of them, seems like a book will not interest me to read. Thank you for this summary.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It is usually disappointing when such a promising book fails to deliver to one's expectations. Your introduction had already 'won me over! By the end of the review, however, I was sure I wouldn't pick the book up just yet. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

Sometimes authors set out to do more than their currents skills allow and result can be a disappointment. That is a really good illustration of the fact that ideas are dime a dozen, what you do with the idea makes the whole difference.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Good review! I agree with you that the concept was good and had the potential to wow its readers but the author failed to realize its potential.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Reading this review was quite confusing, I imagine that's how the book will be for me. Seems like a case of a great concept poorly executed.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This sure had a great concept. It really is a shame when a book does not live up to its full potential.

Thank you for the great review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Nice review. I felt much the same way about the book. I thought it had a lot of potential, but it just never fully gelled into greatness.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I like how you open your review with questions that make you imagine if the technology was real. And I agree with you, that it's a great concept for a book. Such a shame it didn't deliver on its promise.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Maybe the reporter thought it was some kind of conspiracy? I don't know I haven't read it. The book sounds good. I'm not sure if that technology would be a good thing or a bad thing. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”