Review by Debjani Ghosh -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Debjani Ghosh -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sharon Backovic, a girl with red hair, shambles out of her coffin as a zombie, after she dies tragically at her best friend’s wedding photo-shoot. She is still wearing the horrible pink bridesmaid’s dress. V. X. Morgoni, a reporter, investigates paranormal occurrences and is hot on the trail of a red-haired zombie wearing a fuchsia pink dress who accosted her on a bus stop. A minor-league actress impersonates the zombie Sharon to get her fifteen minutes of fame. How will these three stories collide?

Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel is a fantasy horror novel that combines mystery and satire to deliver a stunning work of fiction. It is far from the cliched novels that one would expect in the zombie genre since our protagonist is a vegan. Go figure!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book since it is a unique take on the zombie genre without deriving from its cheap thrills. Rather, it cashes in on the creepiness of the zombie lore. I felt disgusted after reading the stomach-churning portrayal of Sharon’s diet, but it steadily grows on you. The absence of her family and friends at her own funeral constitutes the only macabre thing in this book. Frankel accurately describes zombie behavior and brings out the confusion, anger, and anguish of Sharon post her transformation perfectly. Her method of creation, which was entertaining to know about, also sets her apart from any other zombie – she does not lose her memories or personality.

Although there is no clear demarcation, the book has two halves – in the first, Sharon is still coming to terms with her death, and retains her meekness from her “life”. As a result, she tries to meet with her so-called friends who all act like contemptibly foolish and arrogant people and expect her to behave like a doormat like she always had. Sharon still wants to do anything to salvage her relationship with her obnoxious friend Dorri who hardly cares for her. It tugs at your heartstrings. In the second half, Sharon finally realizes her worth and understands that having just one or two persons as friends who care for her is liberating.

Some parts of the story deal with reportage on social media. The lexicon used here is realistic, but I found these parts frustrating to read since they lacked the author’s magnificent vocabulary. The author takes a dig at the present day’s click-happy and social media obsessed generation. The propensity to gulp down misinformation and its ramifications have been realistically (and hilariously) portrayed here. There is a savage satisfaction one gets upon reading the explosive climax that ties together all the loose ends by literally bringing together all the characters.

The only complaint I found with this book was the lack of attention to detail. For instance, two days post her zombification, when her memories are still hazy, and Sharon is unable to remember much about her life, she easily remembers her email password. Further, another two days later, all her memories come back with a startling speed. However, they don’t diminish the quality of this story at all.

In the light of the above points stated, I will gladly rate this fast-paced, uplifting, entertaining, and professionally edited zombie tale 4 out of 4 stars. Lack of gut-spilling atrocity makes it suitable for a young audience.

Undead Redhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Debjani Ghosh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

A vegan zombie's story with splashes of the social media hype and the web's infamous misinformation trends seem to make this piece a relevant, relatable, and timely metaphorical work. Thank you for catching and sharing the vibe through your catchy review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Espie wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 02:56 A vegan zombie's story with splashes of the social media hype and the web's infamous misinformation trends seem to make this piece a relevant, relatable, and timely metaphorical work. Thank you for catching and sharing the vibe through your catchy review.
Yes, it is indeed a relatable work. Thanks for your comment.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Vegan zombie, this is new! You remind me of the point where in Twilight the Cullens are vegan vampires. The idea sounds interesting, and it's quite clear that the review has enjoyed this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Great review, Debjani Ghosh. Its good to know this isn't a cliched zombie story. I also like the creativity the author has expended on the plot.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 08:12 Vegan zombie, this is new! You remind me of the point where in Twilight the Cullens are vegan vampires. The idea sounds interesting, and it's quite clear that the review has enjoyed this read. Thank you for your review!
Ah! you brought an interesting analogy with the Cullens. Thanks for your comments!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Quinto wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 08:48 Great review, Debjani Ghosh. Its good to know this isn't a cliched zombie story. I also like the creativity the author has expended on the plot.
Yes, the author was indeed creative with the plot. Thanks for commenting!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am no zombie fan, but Sharon seems to be the lovable kind. ln her case, it took death for her to live fully.

A vegan zombie. Social media exposed. True friendship. I'm dying to bite into this book. Thanks for your splendid review!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 15:25 I am no zombie fan, but Sharon seems to be the lovable kind. ln her case, it took death for her to live fully.

A vegan zombie. Social media exposed. True friendship. I'm dying to bite into this book. Thanks for your splendid review!
Yes, Sharon is a lovable, harmless zombie. Thanks for your comment.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Sharon was definitely gross. The maggot part got to me the most! But also what she ate. There were many times where I wrinkled my nose.
Great review - I enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I hope to meet this Sharon. It's intriguing her friends are not creeped by the new her, even though Iam sure they didn't initially know she is vegan! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems to be quite an unusual read. I think I will give it a try.

Thank you for the great review.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Bianka Walter wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 02:15 Sharon was definitely gross. The maggot part got to me the most! But also what she ate. There were many times where I wrinkled my nose.
Great review - I enjoyed it :)
Yes, what she ate disgusted me. Thanks for your appreciation and your comment.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Cotwani wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 07:15 I hope to meet this Sharon. It's intriguing her friends are not creeped by the new her, even though Iam sure they didn't initially know she is vegan! Great review!
Yes, her friends did not know initially that she was vegan and were afraid of her. Thanks for your comment.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Kajori50 wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 08:01 This seems to be quite an unusual read. I think I will give it a try.

Thank you for the great review.
Yes, it is an unusual read. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”