Review by Onyinye Excel -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by Onyinye Excel -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Onyinye Excel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

H.M. Irwing’s book, Heartaches 2-Bad Boy Vibes is the second in the series of a romance story about Rafe and Anna. Having been betrayed and raped in the past, Anna is scared of facing her future alone. Rafe stands by her and helps her to conquer her fears. Another plot in the story is that of the gay couple-Pat and Dan. Pat is Anna’s best friend, but he is gay. Rafe is jealous over his close relationship with Anna, and Anna is jealous over Pat ogling Rafe in some instances. Rafe and Pat have to understand their positions in Anna’s life and respect it. The antagonists in the story are the Prestons.

There are 13 chapters in this book, and each told a unique part of the entire story. More so, the author is very good at describing the emotional turmoil the characters are going through. The erotic sexual scenes are full of intense emotion. One might almost think of sex as a way to drown one’s fears. It seemed to give the couple a temporary relief from their fears. There were also several fights in the book. Example: between Pat and Anna. Most of the fights were used therapeutically. He portrayed that a physical fight between friends, also gives them the courage to confront their fears. A hilarious moment in the book was when Pat compared being in love with the mind being fat, overfed, and unhealthy. This he said was because the mind was being inflated with too much of the same joyous emotions, rendering it unhealthy.

I loved Suzie’s part in the story. She seemed to be clear-headed and unbiased, especially when analyzing what Anna had been through. I liked this the most. This is because she was not judgmental. She was friendly and accommodating. While I understand that this book is all about heartaches, I didn’t enjoy reading about Anna’s emotional trauma. The author spent too much time on Anna’s heartaches than the romance itself. I feel he shouldn’t have allowed Rafe and Anna’s emotional turmoil suppress the attraction between them. This was what I liked the least in the story. My reason is that I don’t enjoy reading about pain, especially when romance is involved.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 4 because I found a lot of typographical errors in the course of reading the book. Example: “Brian had only to his debts to clear.”(Page 16). It didn’t look like it was professionally edited. I didn’t give it a 2 because of its interesting storyline.

This book would appeal most to lovers, soldiers, rape victims, couples who have been victims of betrayals, and emotional traumas in the past. It would also appeal to gay couples. It would appeal least to anyone who doesn’t understand the emotional trauma, rape victims go through. People who are prejudiced would also not want to read this book.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Onyinye Excel's review? Post a comment saying so!
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I don't also enjoy reading about pain when romance is involved. Commendable review. I will recommend it to a friend who might like it.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I find Pat's concept of love very hilarious. I would love to read this book. Blessings!
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 05:31 I find Pat's concept of love very hilarious. I would love to read this book. Blessings!
Blessings dear! It was very funny. I've never viewed love that way. I laughed so much before I could continue reading the story.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I really enjoyed reading the bad boy vibes series. However, Heartaches 2 was my least favorite, as it contained too many erotic scenes.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”