Review by T_stone -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Review by T_stone -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by T_stone »

inaramid wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 22:02 I do like Coles' writing style. It would be interesting to see how he tackled an unlikeable character and the path (if there was any) he had towards redemption. Thanks for the review.
I do like his style of writing too. This will be the second book of his that I've read. Thanks for dropping a comment.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark

Post by Dael Reader »

It seems like I'm the only one who thought this book was lacking. I didn't think McDowell ever really achieved "redemption," because even in the end, he was still more focused on proving his innocence and getting HIS story told. He never showed any real concern for how his actions affected anyone in his family. But, I think it's interesting to read opposing reviews. And you did a nice job on this one.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Dael Reader wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 10:33 It seems like I'm the only one who thought this book was lacking. I didn't think McDowell ever really achieved "redemption," because even in the end, he was still more focused on proving his innocence and getting HIS story told. He never showed any real concern for how his actions affected anyone in his family. But, I think it's interesting to read opposing reviews. And you did a nice job on this one.
You're right with this as well. In the real sense, seeking redemption after all his deeds seem selfish to me. Thanks for dropping a comment.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am a fan of the author; I also read and enjoyed this story. My favorite among the characters is Sophie. She got the best traits of her father.

I think there is a Hiram in each of us. "Hiram" in Hebrew means "most noble and exalted". In my country's language, it means "borrowed." I find that both definitions apply to McDowell.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Miriam Molina wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 06:10 I am a fan of the author; I also read and enjoyed this story. My favorite among the characters is Sophie. She got the best traits of her father.

I think there is a Hiram in each of us. "Hiram" in Hebrew means "most noble and exalted". In my country's language, it means "borrowed." I find that both definitions apply to McDowell.
You're right. Both definitions fit McDowell's character perfectly. Thanks for dropping by.

What country are you from if I may ask?

Rob White
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Great review. I liked your summary. I didn't realize how all of Hiram's children had problems in their life due to his neglect. Thanks for that insight.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 02:48 Great review. I liked your summary. I didn't realize how all of Hiram's children had problems in their life due to his neglect. Thanks for that insight.
I'm glad you enjoyed my summary. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Rob White
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I've read and reviewed McDowell. The character development and each character having a role to play in Hiram's growth were the highlights for me. Nice review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

prospero360 wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 01:09 I've read and reviewed McDowell. The character development and each character having a role to play in Hiram's growth were the highlights for me. Nice review.
Thanks for your comment.

Rob White
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I read this book and i agree it covers most of the issues we are facing now a days..thumbs up for a thorough and good review 👍
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Zimall wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 08:59 I read this book and i agree it covers most of the issues we are facing now a days..thumbs up for a thorough and good review 👍
Thanks for commenting.

Rob White
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

He's an unfaithful husband to his third wife, Carole Mastriano, and a wicked stepfather to Carole's daughters from her former marriage.
Not only this is all but he is unfaithful to all of the women who came into his way whether they are his wives or the friends, he misused them. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”