Review by T_stone -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by T_stone -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by T_stone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell is a book of fiction penned by William H. Coles. This is the story of Doctor Hiram McDowell. It's a book filled with mixed emotions and feelings. This book is split into two parts. The first part of this book talks about the ascent of the protagonist and the second part, his fall.

McDowell is a story of a surgeon, Hiram, who at different stages of his life, founded and ran a medical institution in Nepal, led the International College of Surgeons, and one of his greatest achievements; he gets appointed as United States Secretary of Health. Hiram McDowell is a philanthropist that lacks every iota of moral. He enjoys mountain climbing and music. Hiram's hunger for fame makes him a deceptive and an untrustworthy individual. He does anything to rise up to power. He is a father of three children; Ann, Sophie and Billie. Ann is his daughter from his first marriage while Sophie and Billie are from his second marriage. He's an unfaithful husband to his third wife, Carole Mastriano, and a wicked stepfather to Carole's daughters from her former marriage.

William H. Coles talks about the book's characters, who according to the story, have their separate ambitions, and driven by different goals and passions. Michael O'Leary is one of Hiram's friends and also a colleague. After Hiram deceives Michael to become the President of the International College of Surgeons, Michael seeks revenge. Billie, Hiram's last son, who is into music, has an affair with Tasha, one of Carole's daughters. Sophie, a photographer, gets involved in an abusive lesbian relationship due to lack of emotional attachment to their father, Hiram. Ann is his daughter from the first marriage and a mother of two. She is Hiram's least favourite of his three children. Jeremy, Ann's son, is the ultimate cause of Hiram's downfall after his unsuccessful attempt to commit suicide. Paige Sterling is a journalist that has tasked herself to do a research on Hiram's life.

The life of the protagonist has forcible characters filled with a blemish, which at some stage, I had sympathy for. Hiram's character has unlikeable traits, which changed through his walk to seek redemption. McDowell is a thought-provoking book that will leave readers with questions like "Can someone as pernicious as Hiram find redemption?".

The story is an interesting one which compromises of family, love, relationships, family feud, lack of parental guidance, greed, power, money and success. I like the writing style used by the author because it got me engaged immediately I started reading it. McDowell also talks about issues such as journalism, euthanasia, music, divorce, mental illness and the justice system of America.

There was nothing I didn't enjoy about this book. I didn't find any errors in this book. It goes to show that it was professionally edited, therefore, I'll give McDowell by William H. Coles a 4 out of 4 stars. I will recommend it to anyone that loves reading mystical fictions. I will also also recommend it to adults and young adults, that like a bit of sexual contents when reading.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like T_stone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The life of the protagonist has forcible characters filled with a blemish, which at some stage, I had sympathy for. Hiram's character has unlikeable traits, which changed through his walk to seek redemption. McDowell is a thought-provoking book that will leave readers with questions like "Can someone as pernicious as Hiram find redemption?".
what a great book you have chosen for the review and you have given a great review. yes, pernicious people in the world can lead to their redemption more easily than the noble beings mostly it happens in our surrounding you can see it. you have put good thinking into the field by your question.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 15:32
what a great book you have chosen for the review and you have given a great review. yes, pernicious people in the world can lead to their redemption more easily than the noble beings mostly it happens in our surrounding you can see it. you have put good thinking into the field by your question.
You're quite right. Makes you wonder of being noble is gainful or not. Thanks for your comment
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The man called McDowell and his relations seem complex. I am not sure if I am up for tracking so many subplots in a story. Maybe in the future, I will pick up this book. Thanks for the review!
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 12:05 The man called McDowell and his relations seem complex. I am not sure if I am up for tracking so many subplots in a story. Maybe in the future, I will pick up this book. Thanks for the review!
They are quite complex, but once you grab a hold of their characters, you'll enjoy it. Thanks for your comment

Rob White
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The story seems to have a lot of characters which might make for an interesting read. Thank you for the review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Having read and reviewed the book, I agree with you that McDowell is annoying, deceptive and untrustworthy in Part 1, but invokes some sympathy in Part 2. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

OloladeO wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 18:47 The story seems to have a lot of characters which might make for an interesting read. Thank you for the review.
I appreciate your comment. Thanks

Rob White
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Cotwani wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 06:44 Having read and reviewed the book, I agree with you that McDowell is annoying, deceptive and untrustworthy in Part 1, but invokes some sympathy in Part 2. Great review!
Thanks for dropping by.

Rob White
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Great review, T_stone. This story is quite intense and I have liked how you've summarized it.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Quinto wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 08:55 Great review, T_stone. This story is quite intense and I have liked how you've summarized it.
Thanks for your comment quinto

Rob White
T2theTABU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t2thetabu.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by T2theTABU »

I think authors that can pull off writing a novel where you detest the main character are authors we should really look out for. I do have to admit, however, that when I saw this title I was praying it was a biography of Malcolm McDowell! Oh well. Fine review, my droogie : )
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

T2theTABU wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 07:13 I think authors that can pull off writing a novel where you detest the main character are authors we should really look out for. I do have to admit, however, that when I saw this title I was praying it was a biography of Malcolm McDowell! Oh well. Fine review, my droogie : )
I think William H. Coles does that so well. I've read reviews of some of his books and they seem alike.
Thanks for dropping your comment.

Rob White
Diane0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diane0007.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Diane0007 »

Wow! It's very interesting! The story is what makes me want to read it.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Diane0007 wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 20:54 Wow! It's very interesting! The story is what makes me want to read it.
You should read it when you can. It's really interesting. Thanks for you comment

Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”