Review by Arlene_R -- Smith by Sam B Miller II

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arlene_R
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arlene-r.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Review by Arlene_R -- Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by Arlene_R »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Smith" by Sam B Miller II.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dan Brown’s “Origin” meet Marvel’s “X-Men” is the perfect description of this fast-paced YA thriller slash paranormal novel. Who wouldn’t want to be Jake Goddard? An 18 year old who found a powerful ring which granted him enormous abilities and an invisible yet powerful mentor, ala Winston of “Origin”, guiding him against evil forces. The story will take you from an archaeological dig in Israel to New York’s Central Park rooting for the young hero and his faithful mage.

I am awarding this book with 4 out of 4 stars. I really love the story of an ordinary guy being given extraordinary powers to battle evil. Add on having a side-kick literally out of this world and larger than life and it’s a recipe for success. The dialogue is easy and the banter is hilarious. Best of all, if this ever becomes a movie someday, I will line up with a tub of popcorn on the opening day. The author wrote action scenes in almost the whole book but at the same time, the story arch is still there and locked engagingly in your brain. Half-way through, I was of two minds trying to read fast to find out what happens next but at the same time, beginning to dread reading the end of the story.

Another facet of the story that I personally like is the reference to biblical characters and some side stories that I think religious denominations would not take offense from. There was never an attack against any organized religion or sect or even anything against a particular community as a whole. It is acceptable that the villains in the story came from the story’s main location of course, as the story revolved there.

For a YA novel, “Smith” exceeded my expectations. I was expecting something like the Percy Jackson series of Rick Riordan and I found this is so much more. To paraphrase a much loved line from a Spiderman movie, with great powers comes a whole load of responsibility. Jake might have just been eighteen but the author gave him a very mature perspective in life but there were dashes of youth there most adoringly when it came to his growing feelings for Nava. The denouement is perfectly suspenseful and the ending left me lightheaded. I wished so much for an alternative ending but realized eventually that that is the only way to close the story.

Sam B. Miller II will now be in my list of authors to follow and would definitely look out for his books. I wish “Smith” would have a sequel or even a prequel or a novella as I’m not yet ready to let go of this tale. Thank you, Mr. Miller, for such an entertaining and delightful story.

Smith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Arlene_R's review? Post a comment saying so!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I just finished my review a few minutes ago on Smith. Another reviewer gave me the idea of reading a review from someone else after I finish my review to see if they had similar opinions as I never read reviews on the books I am reading. I'm glad to see that you also appreciated the humor and are looking forward to reading more books from this author like I am!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

This book has been very favorably reviewed, and I'm hoping to get to read it soon!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”