Review by Harzelryan -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Harzelryan -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Harzelryan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell is a fiction novel written by William H Coles about Hiram McDowell the main protagonist introduced as a gifted surgeon, mountain climber, musician, ruthless and amoral in general. He was a kind of person who couldn't let anything stand on his way to the top. He eliminates anything that tries to block him from getting to his desired destination. It is an emotion drawing story which exhibits the protagonist's self-centeredness and its extended consequences in his life.

The book is divided into two parts. The first part focuses on McDowell's life as he climbs up his career ladder where he quests for money and power. He ran a medical foundation in Nepal, led the international college of surgeons, and was nominated to be the United States Secretary of Health. Through McDowell's way up the ladder, he made enemies, and he cared for his children in an idiosyncratic way. The second part exhibits the dreadful consequences of his past choices as he struggles to survive against all the odds with his revenge plans. He met Maud and his negative attitude and anger toward life, people and society at large changed. He aimed only to prove that he was unjustly condemned.

This novel is delightful, fun, and interesting fictional tale which can keep you glued to your seat turning the pages due to the curiosity of how his struggle will pan out. The novel has a very well mapped plot with much better pacing. The author did a splendid job in introducing characters and well-connected subplots which work as a support to the main story of Hiram's journey. The author brought out a question on human capability when life turns out contrary to the expectations.

The book was professionally edited since I found no grammatical errors. It has a nice flow, but it has one weakness where it is difficult to figure out the time differences between some scenarios. The story is appealing to a variety of readers especially those who are intrigued by the study of human nature through fiction, love, and crime, and mystery stories.

I will conclude by offering this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This is due to its well-plotted setting, and it is adventurous and filled with suspense together with reasons stated earlier. There are few mild sexual scenes and use of strong language which is an advantage to the young readers.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Harzelryan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Having read the book, I agree that it is well written, and McDowell is ruthless and arrogant.I however did not enjoy it as much as you did because the sexism got to me. Thanks for the concise review.

Feel free to check out my review at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85440
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Nice review! I've read parts of this book, and I agree McDowell is relentless in his drive to succeed and treats his children in an idiosyncratic manner. Also, in the second half of the book, I think that Hiram tries to come to terms with the mistakes he's made in his life.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

It will be interesting to read about the politics in the field of medicine. And added to it is an intriguing character of a selfish doctor, this will be a good read for me.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The second part exhibits the dreadful consequences of his past choices as he struggles to survive against all the odds with his revenge plans. He met Maud and his negative attitude and anger toward life, people and society at large changed. He aimed only to prove that he was unjustly condemned.
it is a strong point of in your review you have described the second part of the story. McDowell was a negative character but when he was punished, he tried to regain his impression by proving that he is unjustly condemned.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I read this book and gave it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It's such a great read covering issues in the medical industry while balancing with the personal life. Anyone who enjoys medical thrillers will definitely enjoy reading this.
R Benedicta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-benedicta.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by R Benedicta »

McDowell is a character who is both admirable and flawed, making him a compelling protagonist.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”