Review by chelhack -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by chelhack -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by chelhack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Hiram McDowell is an accomplished individual within the medical field. At the top in his career as a surgeon, Dr. McDowell also ran a medicine foundation in Napel, led the International College of Surgeons along with being nominated to be the United States Secretary of Health. He is also a good father to his children. Though, the novel speaks/shows all of these to be the good qualities it seems as if the author has written in a form of which it seems he actually wants protagonist, Dr. Hiram McDowell, to be an unlikeable character. Which, is also what makes this book so much more interesting. Yet, although Dr. McDowell is great career minded/orientated man he is also a very arrogant, callous, cruel, awful to his third wife and the type of person who cheated his colleague and friend out of becoming President of the International College of Surgeons for self-gain. This novel is an interesting story that grabbed my attention and held it from beginning to the end.

McDowell by William H Cole is about a surgeon that climbs to the top in his career. Though, his tactics and morals when come to gaining more or becoming more powerful in his position on the International College of Surgeons cabinets anger his colleagues and friends so much that they are now out to destroy him. Though, this is a chance that they will not get directly because soon after Dr. Mcdowell was elected as President he was struck with tragedy regarding his family which leads to him committing felonious crimes. Later with the loss of all his wealth, Dr. McDowell escapes from the prison he was sentenced to. But will he be able to pick up and rebuild is life or the life that he once knew?

I enjoyed reading this book. It grabbed my attention from the prologue and held it captive the rest of the way through the book. I also believe that there is also a hidden lesson in this book. It personally made me think about all of the things that I not so much as take for granted but look over and or do not show my appreciation for all of the time. I like that this book did make me feel a lot of emotions which means to me that this is something that I felt deep within my being.

The only thing that I did not like about this book is that in some parts it seems to jump around a bit too much. I am also still unsure on how I feel about the situation with Dr. McDowells nephew but I do not want to go too far into detail on this topic because I do not want to spoil the book for potential readers.

I give this novel McDowell a 4 out of 4-star rating. I gave it this rating because there were little to no errors that I caught while reading this book. I really enjoyed this book and I would not give it any lower of a rate because as I previously mentioned that I believe that there is a lesson within the contents of this novel.

This is a book that I would definitely recommend this book to all book lovers. I would place it for an audience from high school age and older.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like chelhack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chelsea N. Hackett
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

McDowell by William H Cole is about a surgeon that climbs to the top in his career. Though, his tactics and morals when come to gaining more or becoming more powerful in his position on the International College of Surgeons cabinets anger his colleagues and friends so much that they are now out to destroy him. Though, this is a chance that they will not get directly because soon after Dr. Mcdowell was elected as President he was struck with tragedy regarding his family which leads to him committing felonious crimes. Later with the loss of all his wealth, Dr. McDowell escapes from the prison he was sentenced to. But will he be able to pick up and rebuild is life or the life that he once knew?
Well he is a lucky man who got redemption from the jail soon. It is a story looking like more than a reality in the world. I have also worked out on it so I liked it most. Thanks for your review.
R Benedicta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-benedicta.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by R Benedicta »

The prose in McDowell is beautiful and poetic, adding depth and nuance to the story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”