Review by Tiny_Turtle -- Isabella's Painting

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Tiny_Turtle -- Isabella's Painting

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Isabella's Painting" by Ellen Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I found Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler to be filled with intrigue, danger and excitement. The narrative grabbed my attention from the first sentence. The twists and turns kept me guessing. Numerous times, to my delight, I couldn't determine who could be trusted and who couldn't. I was sure I'd have someone's motivations figured out, only to realize that I was wrong.

Karina's life turned upside down when she found herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. All she was supposed to do was go to the family library and tell her boyfriend's father that Congressman Olsen was waiting to speak with him. Why didn't she just deliver the message, return to the lavish Christmas party, and pretend that she didn't just witness an odd situation? Actually, she wasn't sure what she walked in on, but her curiosity radar was going absolutely bonkers. She knew something wasn't right. She also knew she should just let it go. It was none of her business. Yet, how could she ignore what her instincts were telling her? There was something fishy going on in the Dunne household, and she was determined to find out what it was.

In the middle of the night, she snuck back into the family library while Patrick and his parents were sleeping. What she found would put all their lives in danger. Since Karina would not just walk away and ignore her insatiable curiosity, she found herself on the wrong side of the Boston Mafia, as well as the FBI, not knowing whom she could trust. How could she ignore what she saw? The priceless piece of history needed to be returned to its rightful owner. What should she do? People's lives were at stake. That curiosity of hers could be the death of her and everyone she holds dear, or it could just be what saves them all.

This masterfully crafted tale was riveting. It was hard to put down. The author's descriptions were so colorfully detailed that it was easy to imagine that I was actually there. The characters were well developed with interesting personalities. Most of the book is told from Karina's perspective and written in the first person. There are a few chapters written from another character's perspective. Those chapters are told in the third person. The transitions from one to the other is smooth and easy to follow. I liked getting the other character's perspective. It helped to explain their motivations.

This fast-paced historical fiction is about a real painting called The Concert by Johannes Vermeer. The true story of the missing painting is a fascinating one. It was stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum on March 18, 1990, along with ten other paintings and drawings, and two artifacts worth $500 million. None of the artworks were ever recovered, as of the time of this book's release. In the Afterward, on page 271, you will find more details of the robbery written in an entertaining format. I liked that it wasn't just a list of statistics. There are many theories about what may have happened to the painting, and the other works of art, after they were stolen. It was easy to believe that the scenario presented in this narrative could potentially happen.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I believe Isabella's Painting was professionally edited. I only found three errors that did not distract from the reading experience. I actually tried to find something I didn't like about this book and wasn't successful. Even the violence was handled tastefully and only added when a scenario required it for authenticity.

I would highly recommend this to readers who enjoy historical fiction packed with intrigue, danger and just a dash of romance that does not distract or overwhelm. Readers who enjoy a good crime thriller, without a lot of violence, should find it engaging. In addition, art connoisseurs and treasure hunters may delight in an opportunity to help solve a mystery surrounding multiple famous works of art. The only ones who might not enjoy it are readers who are looking for something scary with lots of blood and gore.

Isabella's Painting
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tiny_Turtle's review? Post a comment saying so!
Diane0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diane0007.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Diane0007 »

Nice review! I will definitely read this as it's Halloween & it's time for some scary books to read hehe
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

You have succinctly written the summary of this book. I too read and reviewed this book and found it to be enjoyable. I agree with you that the narrative was attention-grabbing. Thanks for the review!
Monie_raey
Currently Reading: Longthroat Memoirs
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monie-raey.html
Latest Review: Junk Justice by Gerry Rising

Post by Monie_raey »

The book sounds interesting and yes, it would definitely be nice to read it during this Halloween season. It sounds exciting and it sure gives the reader a chance to go back in time. I think it might be way better than any history book that would have highlighted this story about stolen art.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Great review! This book is just my cup of tea, an attention grabbing mystery.

Just a side note: I read in a different post that you are part American Indian (I have just a bit myself) and would recommend reading 'Strong Heart' if you haven't already done so; it has some Native American characters featured in it.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I just hate it when a Christmas party leads you into trouble with the mob! But I am intrigued by your compelling review. It sounds like this was a thriller.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Violence handled tastefully?! Lol! I have soo enjoyed reading your review! You have sold this one to me!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Isabella's Paintings has been reviewed in a social manner by you. the ups and downs of the story are described with examples of characters in the life given in this book.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

This review makes the book so intriguing. I like how you summarize the plot. I have read a couple of other mysteries, which I cannot now remember the names of, that used Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum theft in their plots. Setting a mystery around a mystery is quite fun.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

Great review! I love historical fiction. I also love when I can get lost in the world of the book and feel like I am there. That kind of book keeps me up all night because I'm in a zone and just can't put it down. You make it sound like you might have gotten lost in their world. I just might have to sneak a peek into that world for myself now that I have read your review!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This is totally my kind of story with the suspense, mystery, and intrigue. I love it even more that it's based on an actual theft, and the author includes theories about the theft in the book. This sounds like an amazing book that I would truly love. So glad to see the four-star rating. Wonderful review. I'm already riveted!
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Sounds really exciting and intriguing. I would just love to try it. Thanks for a thorough review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

So true! I too will learn to mind my own business because at times the most sensible thing that one can do to mind one's self. There are so many unwanted scenarios talking please daily, and at anytime we too may end up being a pray to it. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”