Review by wendos -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by wendos -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by wendos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is a smell that burns the hairs on Sigfried's head, though he has difficulty finding its source. Before we go ahead, beware, this book may stink!

The author tells the story from Sigfried's point of view as he takes the reader through the sickening stains in his book one after the other. They include “the rotten banana he left on one of the pages,” “the squish-mushed chewing gum he stuck in the book last year,” and “the peanut butter and jelly chunks he let dribble off his bread,” just to mention a few.

Even after the tedious search in his book, still, there is this smell that does not march all his findings. Finally, there is a pile of dirty socks under his bed, and he is courageous enough to sort the items one by one. Be careful, in Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley, Sigfried is generous enough to allow you to take a whiff.

Len Foley is the winner of "Mom's Choice Awards" and has done commendable work putting this little hilarious book together. The story was inspired by her kids, Becky and Sofia, who always had a never-ending pile of socks.

I expected this book to be in the same format as other children's books. However, it uses short rhythmic paragraphs and unique wordings, making the narrative appealing and fun to follow.

While young readers between 3 and 7 years will love the hilarious illustrations in this book, the beautiful colours will also lure them to keep turning the pages till the end. The picture the author paints through Sigfried's untidiness portrays what most kids go through as they grow. I am sure most of them will identify with what Sigfried is doing.

I think the book teaches responsibility by having Sigfried clear his mess from under the bed. Even so, I did not like his method of washing the socks, though the author wants the reader to view it as a "silly little book". There should have been more positive lessons for kids to learn at the end of the book.

I must rate this book 4 out of 4 stars since there was no single error all through. I would recommend the book to parents and guardians of kids aged between 3 and 7 years. Though the book is hilarious and enjoyable, parents should be careful to guide kids in picking positive lessons from the book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like wendos's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

The rhyming verse definitely gives it a nice edge. And it sounds super gross!
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Lol! Your review is as hilarious as Sigfried's investigation - without the stink of course! is generous enough to allow you to take a whiff. I second your take that there should have been more positive lessons for kids to learn at the end of the book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love your introduction. Really catchy. Great review.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Well done on a review that is as delightful as the book! It's always a treat when a children's book is entertaining.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I liked your review. You succinctly brought out the beauty of the author's writing style as well as the book's pros and cons. Thanks!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have read several reviews of this funny little book, but so far your review brings out this in the funniest outlook. Thanks for the review!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Lovely review. I would so have enjoyed reading this book to my children when they were little!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”