Review by sonya01 -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Review by sonya01 -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book Review – Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Meet Sharon Backovic. Sharon is the unlikely heroine of this novel, with her pale, translucent skin and her mane of orange hair. She admits to being afraid of the dark and of things that go ‘bump’ in the night. Gentle and kind, she even became a vegan so as not to cause harm to any animals. Sharon is quite simply, a lovely girl.

There is only one small problem: Sharon is dead. Or, more accurately, ‘undead'. In other words, a zombie.

Undead Redhead captured my interest from the moment I saw the title. It is a thought-provoking story which begins with a young woman who seems to have lost her way in life. Sharon lives with her boyfriend, Dave, in a stagnant and unfulfilling relationship. Most of her time is spent trying to please everyone around her, with little success. She has no real friends; her boyfriend is cheating on her and even her family are disinterested. After a freak accident at a friend’s wedding, Sharon wakes up dead. In a coffin. About to be buried. Assuming there has been a terrible mistake, she manages to free herself and heads home, only to find her apartment up for rent and her belongings thrown in the dumpster. Things couldn’t get much worse. Then the realization sets in: there has been no mistake. Sharon has joined the ranks of the ‘undead'. Inexplicably cold all the time, she even has maggots nibbling her flesh. What’s more, her vegan eating habits are preventing her from enjoying the customary fare of zombies everywhere: human brains.

The book takes the reader on an amusing and entertaining journey into the world as seen from a vegan zombie’s point of view. With her usual good nature and optimism, Sharon takes all these problems in her stride. In her ‘undead’ state, she manages to amass an impressive group of new friends – from Malcolm and his ever-cheerful sister to the philosophical ‘cracklady’ living on the streets. There is Waglet, the Haitian teenager, whose deep crush on Sharon has life-changing consequences. Even Morgoni, a zombie hunter, starts off as Sharon’s nemesis but eventually finds a place amongst her friends. Undead Redhead tells the tale of how Sharon Backovic grows to accept her new reality, discovers real friendship, and finally finds the courage to truly be herself. 

My initial concern was that the author’s handling of the zombie aspect might be a little corny, but I need not have worried. Each character has such depth and dimension, and this makes them all extremely interesting. So much so, in fact, that these personalities stayed with me long after the last page was turned. This is especially true of Sharon who is portrayed as kind, sensitive and completely different to how zombies are usually perceived. Morgoni is certainly an intriguing character, with her unpredictable outbursts and strange obsessions. Even Sharon II, the guinea pig, is given its own little personality. The author has clearly invested much thought and care into each contributor in Sharon’s new life, and I found this aspect of the book most gratifying. 

From the very first line, the story flowed beautifully, and I was thoroughly entertained throughout. The writing is skillful, particularly when describing Sharon’s confusion upon regaining consciousness. Phrases like ‘sticky darkness’ and her thoughts being ‘thick and viscous’ are used to evoke the confusion she must have felt, coming slowly back to life. In another part, Sharon observes the real world was ‘just too weird – even without the added complications of zombie-hood.’ This comment struck a chord in me and made me reflect on the questionable way that society sometimes treats those who deviate from the norm.

A couple of incidents seemed out of place, such as Dave’s new-found attraction to Sharon, knowing she had recently become ‘undead'. On another occasion, Sharon tries to find true love on a speed-dating website which seems a little out of character for her. Although the editing was fair, I did notice a few errors in punctuation and spelling but I would not want to make an issue of these. The lessons we are taught by Sharon’s resolute acceptance of her condition and the positive way she influences others far outweigh any technical flaws in the story. 

I believe Undead Redhead would appeal to both older teenagers and adults alike, particularly readers who enjoy science fiction and horror stories. It’s a great book for people who don’t take life – or themselves – too seriously. Above all, many parts of this story inspired a chuckle in me, so I’m sure fans of humorous fiction would love it.

One of my favorite quotes is as follows:

‘After every tragic death in this compassionate, modern world, a certain traditional monument is bound to be erected with the intention of providing the loved ones of the departed a way to celebrate a life cut short too soon, and to begin to heal. That, of course, is the obligatory Facebook Memorial Page.’

I agonized over the rating of this book. In view of the grammatical errors, I feel I must rate it 3 out of 4 stars but this really doesn't do justice to a story that I enjoyed so immensely. I hope that another round of editing will see it achieve the perfect score that it deserves. It was my great joy to read such an entertaining and unusual piece of work, and I would be very eager to read more books by this author.

Undead Redhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sonya01's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like such a fun and unique book. A vegan zombie...how was idea even thought of?

I feel your pain about having to take away stars from a book you so obviously enjoyed. I had to do the same thing with my last review.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This seems like a funny book, it is interesting and the cover is really cute. The title is quirky, and I love the main character she seems interesting.
Sonya Nicolaidis

CommMayo wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 14:20 This sounds like such a fun and unique book. A vegan zombie...how was idea even thought of?

I feel your pain about having to take away stars from a book you so obviously enjoyed. I had to do the same thing with my last review.
Thanks for your comments. It’s not often you find a book you can really relax into....this was definitely one of them. I hope you will give it a try!
Sonya Nicolaidis

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 17:54 This seems like a funny book, it is interesting and the cover is really cute. The title is quirky, and I love the main character she seems interesting.
It’s so much fun. Please give it a bash, if you can! :D
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

A vegan zombie - that is just too creative and funny. If she was a vampire, I would totally read this book. (I'm not a fan of zombie lit.)
Sonya Nicolaidis

teacherjh wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 20:11 A vegan zombie - that is just too creative and funny. If she was a vampire, I would totally read this book. (I'm not a fan of zombie lit.)
You never know - maybe the author will come up with a vampire story next! Here's hoping! :lol: Thanks for your comment.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The premise of the story sounds fun. It's a shame when a book is not edited well. Hopefully, the author will use the services of a good editor in the future.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Sharon is really calling to me. Too bad this book is not among those in my selection. I may have to buy it.

Thanks for your totally enjoyable review!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I liked this story mostly because science and humour are my favorite subjects and both these elements are present in the story.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A vegan zombie? a zombie hunter who becomes friends with a zombie? and a guinea pig witht a personality? This book sounds entertaining in its irony!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

The obligatory Facebook page really got me. It's such a thought-provoking statement, and it made me really think about how invested we are in social media.
I enjoyed your review! Thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The lessons we are taught by Sharon’s resolute acceptance of her condition and the positive way she influences others far outweigh any technical flaws in the story.
I agree with your views as I also read and reviewed this book. The story was so enjoyable plus the author created some memorable characters that I was forced to give this book a 4 out o4 stars despite a few errors. Thanks for the thorough review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”