Review by NhkeiraT -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NhkeiraT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhkeirat.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by NhkeiraT -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by NhkeiraT »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The opening starts in a hospital. Mike Boudreaux, one of the doctors, is currently performing surgical actions on a patient. It is brought to his awareness by Paul, that a patient is in dire need of his attention. As Mike finishes off his patient, he is quickly directed to Operation Room 7. As he enters Room 7, he acknowledges Clayton, his former mentor. Clayton was the best of his kind, a great surgeon, but he seems to show signs of impairment. His mistakes are putting patients lives in jeopardy. Mike takes over and attempts to fix Clayton’s mistakes. He is successful. The operation goes as planned and each worker in the room leaves. After the incident, Mike is in his office. Paul enters with the incident report of Clayton, demanding that he be put on an intermission. Mike and others will now be held accountable for the fate of Clayton…

The beginning of The Surgeon’s Wife was quite infatuating. What would happen next was a concern for me, but surprisingly I felt disillusioned. The next few chapters would announce themselves as being dull, discombobulating and simply haphazard. It lacked depth and it could have done so well. Maybe had the author elaborated more on the bariatric surgery, my feelings towards this book would have differed.

The relationship between Catherine, Clayton’s Wife, and Mike was incoherent and quickly developed. Halfway through the book, their affair just popped up out of nowhere and it seemed like it was used to uphold the book. This relation between the two would cause concern for the society and would become a debilitation for the two. I find it so unlawful of Mike to have done what he did to Clayton. Clayton changed the game for Mike. He was Mike’s teacher and everything he had learned had been passed onto him by him. The victim in all of this is Melissa Otherson, Clayton and Catherine’s daughter. After finding out about the strain on her parents’ marriage and the affair that her mother had been undergoing, she disappears. Clayton also is affected by this. He blames the pair for his downfall in the surgical industry and is seeking an ultimate vengeance.

Catherine felt neglected by her husband and sought refuge from Mike, not knowing how this would affect the lives of people around her. It is kind of like a tragic romance, minus the tragedy. They wanted their love to flourish and to prosper, but it also meant losing those who were close to us and losing our livelihood.

Overall, I fondly appreciated the subject behind obesity and bariatric surgery . It was interesting to see how an author would develop around the topic. It also brought light onto surgeons who have difficulties in the industry. Nonetheless, it lacked features of ‘hair-raising’. It wasn’t one of your gripping stories that actually made you want to grip onto the book. It just wasn’t for me, but I do think that it is two-sided. 

To conclude, I do not recommend this book, unless it is your type of genre. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because it was disappointing and not what I would have thought of it, and I think it could have used a bit more of a punch

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like NhkeiraT's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the book, and it's pity that the story lacked depth. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”