Review by Rick Swan -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-swan.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by Rick Swan -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Rick Swan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer is a young adult novel written about two friends, Matthew and Ryan, who find themselves stranded on an island with little to no memory of how they arrived at that location. In its genre, I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars.

Two friends, Matthew and Ryan, are marooned on an island when the story opens. They are alone, they have no significant recollection of how they arrived on the island, and they need to survive. Through various trials, the boys learn to cooperate, adapt, and be strong. These qualities allow them to encounter a challenge, conquer it, and live another day.

The tests of Matthew and Ryan are the canvas on which the author paints his life lessons. As the afterword makes clear, this story is a metaphor for life. The struggles of Matthew and Ryan are more than just a fun tale. The author speaks to his readers and tries to impart some valuable lessons through this narrative. At times, the wisdom can be a bit on the nose. Yet, the reading should expect this directness in the young adult genre.

I enjoyed the pace of the novel and the author’s no-frills approach. Boyer uses enough detail to paint a picture and convey the plot details necessary for the storyline, but by leaving enough unwritten, he allows the reader to fill in his or her own mental picture. This approach lent itself to a quick read, but one that was still full of the right types of details. There was nothing about the novel that I truly disliked. Initially, I was disappointed in the final resolution. However, upon reading the afterword, I was pleased with the ending.

A reader who enjoys the major young adult titles of the past decade will enjoy this book as well. Someone who expects to read a great literary work will be unfulfilled. One must keep the true audience in mind when reading this work. Boyer does not mean this work to be a classic, and anyone expecting it to be so will be disappointed. Additionally, the book concludes as intended and necessary for the purpose for which Boyer wrote it. If a reader wants every question answered and all loose ends mended, then that reader may be frustrated by the ending.

Overall, Island Games is a worthwhile read. It is quick, easy, and pleasant. It is almost entirely free from grammatical errors. For these reasons, I give a 4-star rating. Any reader should enjoy the experience of reading this book, so long as the reader remembers this is a young adult novel.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rick Swan's review? Post a comment saying so!
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I find this a balanced review, even though it seems to be quite forgiving of this work. However, if I find a worthwhile read (as stated), that is also quick, easy and pleasant, I might be quite forgiving too. You also seem to believe this novel can hold it's own among all the major YA titles of the past decade- this is some high praise. I am happy you found this read enjoyable, it means I can consider reading this book too.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

You are right. The book is quite thrilling for the intended audience. Great review!

I also read and reviewed the book. Feel free to check it out at viewtopic.php?f=53&t=56873
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:

Post by Rick Swan »

ea_anthony wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 12:38 I find this a balanced review, even though it seems to be quite forgiving of this work. However, if I find a worthwhile read (as stated), that is also quick, easy and pleasant, I might be quite forgiving too. You also seem to believe this novel can hold it's own among all the major YA titles of the past decade- this is some high praise. I am happy you found this read enjoyable, it means I can consider reading this book too.
It may be able to hold it's own in comparison, but I meant my analysis to be more geared toward the fact that if you liked those major successes, then you should like this as well. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are equatable. Thanks for your comments!
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Rick Swan wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 22:08
ea_anthony wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 12:38 I find this a balanced review, even though it seems to be quite forgiving of this work. However, if I find a worthwhile read (as stated), that is also quick, easy and pleasant, I might be quite forgiving too. You also seem to believe this novel can hold it's own among all the major YA titles of the past decade- this is some high praise. I am happy you found this read enjoyable, it means I can consider reading this book too.
It may be able to hold it's own in comparison, but I meant my analysis to be more geared toward the fact that if you liked those major successes, then you should like this as well. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are equatable. Thanks for your comments!
Okay, fair enough. I have liked most of the successful YA and even some that were not so successful or were not main stream like Christian YA, so it might be safe to assume I should like this. Thanks.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:

Post by Rick Swan »

ea_anthony wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 14:35
Rick Swan wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 22:08
Okay, fair enough. I have liked most of the successful YA and even some that were not so successful or were not main stream like Christian YA, so it might be safe to assume I should like this. Thanks.
Spot on. Happy reading!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Thank you for your straightforward review! I'm sure young adult readers would love it - like you said- but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

A YA novel detailing the journey of two boys stranded on an island sounds adventurous. However, I am not into YA fiction, hence, I will pass this one. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”