Review by Kishor Rao -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Kishor Rao -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kishor Rao »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

RAVEN’S PEAK-REVIEW

Arthur, a former ‘hunter’, is called back from prison to handle the situation which is until then out of control. Arthur fights with demons to save his daughter-figure, Abigail and sacrifices himself. An excellently written prologue introduces you to the uncanny lives of Arthur and Abigail along with the whole ‘Supernatural’ situation.

Enter Haatim, an Indian guy, who is currently living in Arizona lamenting about the events of recent past. Haatim has lost Faith and is trying to contemplate the game of life. He is unwillingly dragged into a series of events (involving demons) and is now stuck with Abigail because she saved his life. Are demons real? Why are they chasing Haatim? And where does Raven’s Peak come into the picture? Read the book to find out.

Raven’s Peak is the first book in the World on Fire Series. Raven’s Peak opens effectively. Anyone who reads the prologue will not leave the book unfinished. It’s a classic Good vs Evil tale with lots of twists and enough log to fuel the readers and keep them turning pages.

The book is fast-paced and very well written for most of the parts. It will keep you entertained with words like ‘conspiratorially’ and ‘quizzically’. All the characters are layered, and it gives them the grumpy touch needed in these kinds of stories. The action sequences are wonderful. Every chapter ends with a cliff-hanger and the reader will want to read the next chapter right away!

My issues with the book are few which include the secretive nature of the author who doesn’t let the readers know what the characters are thinking. He stops mid-sentence with a couple of dots. And whenever Haatim is puzzled and asks Abigail what is wrong, she replies with lame responses like “Something bad” or “Something terrible” every time. Its good once or twice but becomes redundant and annoying as we see more of that. And there are quite a few grammatical errors as the book progresses.

My biggest issue with the book is it doesn’t provide enough information about what it started with. We start with demons possessing humans and a council which has people to fight these demons. The story never explains it clearly, and the readers are left as much bewildered and more annoyed than the character Haatim. This information was much-needed to continue with the story and indulge in the universe that the author created.

The book ends with a cliff-hanger as well. I see no reason why a reader would drop the series as there are too many loose ends and unanswered questions to which answers are yet to be revealed.

This adrenaline packed book is definitely worth the read. I don’t think there is a specific category of people to which this book appeals to. Everyone will get something out of it. I rate this book 3 out of 4 considering the pros and cons. Don’t miss this one and regret it.

HAPPY READING!

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kishor Rao's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Very good review. I like supernatural books. I'll have to check this one out.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Thumbs up for a good review 👍👍. I recently finished this and absolutely loved it. Haatim's character was weaker though..but overall book was amazing.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”