Review by Debjani Ghosh -- Isabella's Painting

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Debjani Ghosh -- Isabella's Painting

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Isabella's Painting" by Ellen Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On the fateful day of March 18, 1990, priceless works of art were stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston by two thieves posing as police officers responding to a distress call. Among the stolen works was The Concert by Dutch painter Vermeer, which till date remains unrecovered - until now.

It’s 2018. Karina Cardinal - a Congress lobbyist, and her boyfriend Patrick are visiting his parents’ mansion where she accidentally stumbles upon The Concert hidden behind a secret panel in Patrick’s father’s study. At first, she is not sure, but her curiosity gets the better of her and after she does some research, is shocked to know about the painting’s history. A barrage of questions torments her – how did this reach Martin Dunne (Patrick’s father)? Was it obtained illegitimately? If yes, could she prevail upon Martin to return it to the museum anonymously? Most importantly, is it so easy to return a million-dollar stolen artwork? Read the book to discover the answers for yourself.

Isabella’s Painting by Ellen Butler is a fun, fast-paced read. This book has little dollops of everything- action, mystery, and romance. Hence, fans of all the three genres can take the plunge and the consistently fast pace of the novel will let them finish it in a few sittings. Karina’s character appealed to me the most. She is not a detective so one must applaud her skills in uncovering the mystery. The author needs to be lauded too for thoroughly researching the subject before incorporating it into a work of fiction. Karina is a selfless, caring and humorous person and is sassy too, which is demonstrated by her funny quips all throughout the book. Her relationship with her co-workers is nicely portrayed. She is a spunky woman who owns her decisions which provides a refreshingly different take from the run-of-the-mill thrillers where female characters are stereotyped as dependent on men.

There are two POVs in this book – one is predictably, that of Karina's and another one belonged to a totally unexpected person that revealed a seemingly law-abiding man to be not so decent after all. Further, the author uses idioms effectively to drive home her point. Her literary expressions at the beginning of the book had me marveling at her writing prowess and even compelled me to highlight several sentences. But as the story progressed, the language became simpler. This came in handy while describing the action scenes but once a high standard is set, I expect the author to maintain it. The parts about the Dark Web and the museum heist were fascinating to read.

Nevertheless, I have reasons to complain. There is inadequate character development which is typical of an average mystery novel. Moreover, since the book is based on a real-life museum heist, I had expected the author to provide a satisfying dénouement. However, I was disappointed. The buildup was good, but the Gordian knot was resolved in a jiffy. To me, it resembled a case of much ado about nothing. Besides, Karina’s first relationship is portrayed in detail but the development of her second one is skipped altogether. Maybe the author wants to preserve these details for the later books in this series.

In the light of the above-mentioned points, I rate it a 3 out of 4. It classifies as a light-hearted novel. This may not be mind-blowing, but it’s still an enjoyable one-time read. It was professionally edited as I could not discern any error. Readers can themselves explore on the Internet about the Gardner museum robbery. In fact, the author encourages them to do so. As this book is sans any violent scenes or graphic erotic content, young readers can also pick it up.

Isabella's Painting
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Debjani Ghosh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ndukwe1958
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ndukwe1958 »

Well, it was a painstaking review, your actual x-ray of the Book is the way I think it should be. Bravo!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Ndukwe1958 wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 08:47 Well, it was a painstaking review, your actual x-ray of the Book is the way I think it should be. Bravo!
Thanks for commenting!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

This story reminded me of The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci. They have a similarity - finding a lost precious painting! The absence of grammar error is a great addition. However, I'm sorry to hear about the lack of details. Is this a standalone book?
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Like you, I also think it is a light-hearted but enjoyable book. I like the fact that it is based on a real-life museum heist.

Thank you for the great review.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Dolor wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 10:15 This story reminded me of The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci. They have a similarity - finding a lost precious painting! The absence of grammar error is a great addition. However, I'm sorry to hear about the lack of details. Is this a standalone book?
Yes, this is standalone. Thanks for commenting!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Kajori50 wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 10:23 Like you, I also think it is a light-hearted but enjoyable book. I like the fact that it is based on a real-life museum heist.

Thank you for the great review.
Thanks for commenting!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I really enjoyed your review! I agree a good plot is key to a mystery but also agree that character development needs a bit of attention too - and it seems that the story has just been let down in this respect.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Julie Green wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 14:10 I really enjoyed your review! I agree a good plot is key to a mystery but also agree that character development needs a bit of attention too - and it seems that the story has just been let down in this respect.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I also like the fact that it is based on an actual museum heist. I probably would feel let down, as you did, when the writing style started strong and degraded to a simpler level. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I really like books revolving around artistic themes and mystery. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

"There are two POVs in this book – one is predictably, that of Karina's and another one belonged to a totally unexpected person that revealed a seemingly law-abiding man to be not so decent after all."

Sounds intriguing. I'd just recently read one that used a similar technique, and the resulting shock value was good. I hope the same is true here. That said, it sounds like the author lost steam quite a bit in the second part of the book. I hope it wasn't in a rush to get this published.
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

stacie k wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 16:09 I also like the fact that it is based on an actual museum heist. I probably would feel let down, as you did, when the writing style started strong and degraded to a simpler level. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, the simplicity of the language at the end disappointed me. Thanks for commenting!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

inaramid wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 19:29 "There are two POVs in this book – one is predictably, that of Karina's and another one belonged to a totally unexpected person that revealed a seemingly law-abiding man to be not so decent after all."

Sounds intriguing. I'd just recently read one that used a similar technique, and the resulting shock value was good. I hope the same is true here. That said, it sounds like the author lost steam quite a bit in the second part of the book. I hope it wasn't in a rush to get this published.
Yes, the shock value was indeed good when the second POV was introduced. Most of the authors lose steam by the end of the book. This was no different. Thanks for commenting!
Debjani Ghosh

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

BookReader+6 wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 16:14 I really like books revolving around artistic themes and mystery. Thanks for your review!
Then, you will enjoy it. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”