Review by Shrabastee -- First Family by Alice Langholt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: Review by Shrabastee -- First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Espie wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 10:15 This seems to be a closer adaptation of a biblical story than the Witch of Endor, whose review I just read and commented on a few seconds ago. Thank you for your candid review.
Thanks Espie for stopping by!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Dael Reader wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 15:36 I normally don't like novels based so closely on Biblical texts. But then again, the story of Adam and Eve does leave a lot of room for speculation. And why shouldn't we be willing to consider imaginative interpretations? Nice review.
Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I believe we should keep an open minded approach all the time. Honestly, this rendition of the Biblical story was very engaging!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Before going into details, I should mention that I haven’t read the Bible. My meager knowledge on the Biblical stories is based solely on books and movies depicting the same. Moreover, I personally believe in evolution, not in Creation. Surprisingly enough, this helped me read the book with an open mind and I loved every bit of it.
This gives your review a different perspective. I applaud that you chose a book that's out of your "comfort zone" and decided to do so with an open mind. It, definitely, paid off and I'm glad you enjoyed it even if it doesn't agree with your beliefs.
I absolutely loved the portrayal of God. I always had this idea that banishing Adam and Eve from the garden was a form of punishment. This story shows that God actually let them make their own way into the world. An affectionate father, He was always there, looking out for His children. Though affected by their distress, He never interfered in their life so that they could learn to be self-reliant.
I've always liked this idea much more than a punishing God.

I had seen this book for review but I had dismissed it as "preachy". Your review totally changed my mind and I want to read the different perspectives, especially God's.

Very interesting review, thank you!
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This book is not my cup of tea. I dont like this kind of genre of books still i found your review is nice . Thanks for the review.
---

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”