Review by debbielouise -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debbielouise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbielouise.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Review by debbielouise -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by debbielouise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain is a science fiction novel set in the not too distant future. The main characters are Trey, a reclusive science geek, and Sonya, an ex-gang member with a troubled past.

Trey invents a piece of advanced technology that is highly sought after by Chrome Falcon, a terrorist organisation that is making plans to take over America. They will stop at nothing to capture Trey and force him to work for them. His invention would make them an unstoppable force.

Sonya is on the run from her former biker gang and looking for a fresh start, when she crosses paths with Trey who is trying to evade capture by the Chrome Falcon group. The unlikely couple end up going on the run from the police and the terrorists, and together embark on a dangerous, exciting adventure to save themselves and the rest of America from Chrome Falcon.

I really enjoyed this book. It is full of suspense and danger with a little romance thrown in. Normally I don’t enjoy Science Fiction, but this book was mainly focused on the characters and there was not too much technical language used. Some of the technology developed by the Chrome Falcon terrorists was beyond current scientific understanding so the science fiction label does fit, but the author incorporates it really well in to the narrative, making it seem believable.

The characters in the story are well developed and likeable. Their backgrounds were woven cleverly into the narrative and added to our understanding of their motives and a desire to see them succeed. I really enjoyed how Trey and Sonya worked together using their different abilities and characters, and how Trey related to his family. They added nice details to the story.

The author has a great ability to describe what is happening in the story without spending too much time on complicated descriptions. Science Fiction can often be overly detailed to help the reader understand futuristic story lines, but the author achieved this without taking away the flow and suspense of the narrative.

The book does speak about the Christian faith several times but it is not a central part of the story. The moral stance of the characters is actually quite refreshing.

This book would be enjoyed by anyone who enjoys adventure novels. People do die in the story but it is not overly violent and doesn’t give all the gory details.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well written with an absorbing story line that keeps you wanting to read to the end. It is full of danger, suspense, flawed heroes, and some great characters.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like debbielouise's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am not a fan of science fiction but it's good to know that you enjoyed reading this novel. Thanks for the review!
Vck12
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vck12.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by Vck12 »

Thank you for your review. This sounds like a good book to read that I wouldn't normally choose, as I also am not a science fiction fan and do not have a stomach for violence. I appreciate your thorough explanation!
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

An action thriller touching on two exciting characters on the run sounds interesting. Although I like action filled technological thrillers like this one, however, I don't enjoy a book with a lot of deaths involved. Thanks for the beautiful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”