Review by TrishaAnn92 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Review by TrishaAnn92 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 07 Oct 2018, 13:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is a Self-Help novel written by Rob White. This book contains life lessons meant to provide a sense of inspiration and motivation. Despite the nature of the book, it was humorous and painted a detailed picture of the author’s own experiences through life.

When I first saw this book, before reading the synopsis, I thought it was going to be a Romance novel, which is why I initially became interested. After I read the description and learned that it was, in fact, a book containing essential moments for the author, I decided to read it anyways. I enjoy philosophy, and the mention of gurus tickled me. This is an ideal book for those seeking motivation and inspiration in their lives.

Beginning in his childhood years, we are taken on a journey into his adulthood. Each chapter, a short story about certain times in the author’s life where he initially believed something but learned a deeper truth. Through good times and bad, the author keeps the readers' attention by painting detailed mental images. I have not found many Self-Help books that read like a collection of short stories, so I thought it interesting that the author chose to connect with his readers in that manner.

There wasn’t much I didn’t like about the book. It was inspiring and motivational. I think there is a chapter or two in there that any person can relate to in one way or another. I found myself relating particularly to Chapter Nine. That particular chapter talks about settling for less and never attaining our dreams out of fear of being judged. The reason this chapter struck me was that I myself am guilty of willingly falling short due to anxiety. The problems I did have, though, were that the author initially mentioned gurus but then after the first few chapters we really don’t hear any more about them and their role, to begin with, is not a big one. Despite there being a handful of errors, the book was pretty well written, and easy to follow. The chapters are kept short, and I had no problem following along.

I rate And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White a 2 out of 4 stars. Despite the fact that I did enjoy the book and its contents, there were things that really left me feeling disappointed. With that said I would recommend this book to anybody wanting or needing to be motivated and inspired.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TrishaAnn92's review? Post a comment saying so!
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”