Review by Noraine Alissa Poria -- Oblivion Threshold

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Review by Noraine Alissa Poria -- Oblivion Threshold

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Oblivion Threshold" by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you love Star Trek and Starship Troopers books, then this novel is for you. Oblivion Threshold is the first installation of Oblivion Saga, this series is written by [J.R.] Mabry and [B.J.] West. This book is a science fiction novel about a man who has powers to stop the Proxy which is a dangerous alien species that have been destroying a few colonies. But his ability can also disturb the balance of the universe and even end every life that we know.

After the failed mission in New Manila, Captain Jeff Bowers had changed a lot. He blamed himself for the death of his men and loathed himself for being the only survivor in that mission. Since then, he has closed himself away from the others and only accepts solo assignments. When Admiral Jennings asked Jeff to spy the Prox, he didn't hesitate to accept the mission. While spying the alien army, Jeff has faced a difficult technical problem with his ship that caused him to crash on the moon. He died on the crash, but the Umin help him get back on Earth. When Jeff woke up in his apartment he realized that he has a new body, but he still got his old identity. Besides that, he also discovered that he has a new power that can both end the war and end every life in the universe. 

This novel is a great starter for a series. The book is smartly written; it has a lot of pseudo technologies that amazed me, and the characters have personalities of real people. The concept of this book is not new to me since I've read a few space wars novels, but the storyline is unique and unpredictable. It has a mysterious element that made the story interesting and exciting. The dialogues and interactions of the characters in this book feel like normal human interactions it made the characters likable. And you will get to know not just the main character, but also the secondary characters since there were parts of the book that was narrated by them. Aside from a great character building, the authors also did a great job in explaining the technical and scientific information they made it easy to understand. But my favorite part of this book is the way that authors included a variety of cultural and genetic diversity. It makes me feel like everyone is important in this book, no matter what your race is or where you came from.

The only issue that I have with this book is the lack of information outside the military, such as the government and the society. I am curious what kind of government they have, and how normal people react with the alien attack. I hope in the next installation the authors will include the state of society, their government and the way the normal people react to the attack or if they knew about the army of aliens that are coming to destroy the Earth or did the government hide that fact from them.

I recommend this book to everyone one who loves science fiction novels. Oblivion Threshold is an informative book, with a unique plot and three-dimensional characters. It's a science fiction novel with a twist and has a little bit of romance in it. So I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book, and I am excited to read the next book.

Oblivion Threshold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Noraine Alissa Poria's review? Post a comment saying so!
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

Although I am not a big fan of science fiction, your review indicates this book and series might be worth reading. I like especially that the characters "have personalities of real people."
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia’s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Juanita700 »

I read a lot of science fiction novels about space. Star Trek and books from Isaac Asimov. You can really get lost in space so to speak. You're review is very good. It is good that the writers explain all the technologies and their world. I like that the characters seem very real.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani

Post by edith38 »

Thank you for the interesting review. Just finished this book myself so it was doubly interesting to see your take on it. I am surprised that people keep comparing it with Star Trek. Not that it's dissimilar but the resemblance to the StarGate 1 is just soo much stronger. Especially with Prox (or Proxy? they didn't use y in the book) who sounded exactly like the replicators from the SG1.
Noraine Alissa Poria

jgraney8 wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 21:23 Although I am not a big fan of science fiction, your review indicates this book and series might be worth reading. I like especially that the characters "have personalities of real people."
It is a great book, after reading this you might want to read more science fiction. Thank you for commenting.
Noraine Alissa Poria

Juanita700 wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 13:00 I read a lot of science fiction novels about space. Star Trek and books from Isaac Asimov. You can really get lost in space so to speak. You're review is very good. It is good that the writers explain all the technologies and their world. I like that the characters seem very real.
I am actually waiting for the next book in this series. It's easy to read a book if the characters have "real" people's attitude. Thanks for commenting.
Noraine Alissa Poria

edith38 wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 03:30 Thank you for the interesting review. Just finished this book myself so it was doubly interesting to see your take on it. I am surprised that people keep comparing it with Star Trek. Not that it's dissimilar but the resemblance to the StarGate 1 is just soo much stronger. Especially with Prox (or Proxy? they didn't use y in the book) who sounded exactly like the replicators from the SG1.
I haven't watch nor read(does it have a book?) StarGate 1, but I planned to. I compared it to Star Trek because of the space war, I just assume if they like Star Trek they would like another space war book. Thanks for commenting.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a great start to a unique science fiction series. Although I am not a fan of science fiction genre, I am curious to find out what powers did Captain Jeff Bowers get? Thanks for the review.
Noraine Alissa Poria

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 14:01 This seems like a great start to a unique science fiction series. Although I am not a fan of science fiction genre, I am curious to find out what powers did Captain Jeff Bowers get? Thanks for the review.
This book is so easy to read, give it a shot. You might like it. Thanks for commenting.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I like the occasional sci-fi, but this sounds way more than I could handle. The focus on the military and not so on the government and the society makes me feel that it would be too technical for me. Still, I've read some great things about this. Thank you for adding your voice to the mix.
Noraine Alissa Poria

inaramid wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 04:05 I like the occasional sci-fi, but this sounds way more than I could handle. The focus on the military and not so on the government and the society makes me feel that it would be too technical for me. Still, I've read some great things about this. Thank you for adding your voice to the mix.
Thank you for commenting.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The role of captain Jeff Bowers is likeable because it is the symbol of humanity when he realizes the sense of guilt and tension. He feels himself the cause of death of his own people and his companions. Thanks for your concerning review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

"The only issue that I have with this book is the lack of information outside the military, such as the government and the society. I am curious what kind of government they have, and how normal people react with the alien attack. I hope in the next installation the authors will include the state of society, their government and the way the normal people react to the attack or if they knew about the army of aliens that are coming to destroy the Earth or did the government hide that fact from them. "

Excellent point to make! I would probably have wondered the same thing. The government does seem to have its secrets though, so maybe those outside of the military and key government positions don't have a clue. I have a feeling they will eventually though :)
Noraine Alissa Poria

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 08:52 The role of captain Jeff Bowers is likeable because it is the symbol of humanity when he realizes the sense of guilt and tension. He feels himself the cause of death of his own people and his companions. Thanks for your concerning review.
I agree with you. Thank you for commenting.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I have read books of this genre but different plots. I enjoyed them. I have not decided to read the entire story yet. I will cast my final decision after reading the first ten pages. Thanks for the thorough review. I hope the author will take heed on your suggestion.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”