Review by GabbiV -- Of Illusions and Ink Spills

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
GabbiV
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by GabbiV -- Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Post by GabbiV » 06 Oct 2018, 19:28

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Illusions and Ink Spills" by Divya Hirani.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Illusions and Ink Spills is a poetry book written by Divya Hirani that often expresses dissatisfaction with how the way society treats the person. The author acknowledges that to be raised "right", parents and society have to uphold certain lies to perpetuate social norms. This often comes at great cost to the person as they grow up, as they lose dreams and ambitions. People tend to settle for whatever they can easily acquire, beaten down by what society believes them to be capable of, and not fulfilling their true potential within.

The author also discusses how technology has connected her to her hungry readers. They are starved for human connection and through her poetry, Hirani finds that she can help her audience find solidarity and unity with just a few clicks on their screens. She values her power and does not want to abuse it, so she discusses how important it is for her to put her heart and soul into her writing, so the media these people are ingesting is not mindless drivel aimed to make a quick profit, but something to be cherished.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars because there are no editing errors, so the book looks professionally edited. I like the flow and rhythm of most of the poems, there is a distinctly musical quality to them, even if I cannot understand some of them.

Once in a while, a concept in one of the poems would be too abstract for me to fully grasp, so if philosophizing and puzzling over poems isn't interesting to you, I would not read this book. This is why I could not give it four stars, the execution of ideas is inconsistent and weak more often than I would like, which results in a confusing jumble of words haphazardly sewn together.

I think this book will do really well with people looking for content that has a unique voice that is not afraid to be sick of the notion of perfection or any notion of normal. That said, the author did really well to convey her ideas with stanzas that sometimes contained only two words at a time, which is why I did not give it two stars. Other times, she decides to educate her readers with bits of anatomy and science facts to get her point across that what was previously blamed on stress is actually a bacterial problem.

Of Illusions and Ink Spills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GabbiV's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”