Review by Zimall -- The Wall by Some Guy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Review by Zimall -- The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Zimall »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Wall" by Some Guy.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Wall:Guardian's Redemption by Some Guy is a paranormal thriller and first novel in this series of graphical novels.

The book features a group of six mercenaries striving for fame, honour and of course money. Forge Joey also called Gunns is the commander-in-chief of this group called Wrecking Crew. American president J.R is building wall on the border of America and Mexico. Wrecking Crew is hired to ensure the safety of his family. Inauguration ceremony of the wall is sabotaged by a gang named Shadows. Wrecking Crew is set on the mission to investigate the fiasco. While following Shadows, Gunns faces a paranormal confrontation. Then the time comes when Gunns is left to choose between his brothers-in-arms and his moral conscience. Where will his choice lead him?? Will he be granted redemption??? At the end, comes the utmost shock with a life threat to Wrecking Crew. Will they survive this lethal situation?? Or their story will end with a grenade???

Book consists of six chapters with a prologue and an epilogue. Quotations from the text are used as epigraphs at the start of almost every chapter. The prologue and the first chapter is a description of past and the rest of the book is set in present time. Almost every chapter has a graphic illustration.

Characters are cynical to an extent that I began to develop a hateful feeling towards them. Even the hero has no morality and then in the middle he comes up with a moral sense that he never puts in his actions until the very end. Members of Wrecking Crew are too cynical that they don’t even regret torturing their chief,their brother-in-arms, who saved them with his life.

The thing I like about this book is that the characters are realistic. They are not angels. They are human with some inhuman traits that many people have these days. Flashbacks are worth mentioning. They give an insight into hero’s character and make readers sympathize with him despite of his weaknesses. The worst thing about this book is the weaker characters. Stronger they may be in physique but their moral stature is below than animals. Vulgar language is another negative point.

I will rate this book 1 out of 4 stars because of intricate language that causes much distraction and for all flaws that make it less interesting. I would not recommend it to anyone, not even to supernatural fiction fans. If you can tolerate vulgar phrases, brutal killing scenes, extra hard diction, then yes you should read this.

The Wall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Zimall's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

This book is definitely not for me. From your review, I'm sensing the author made the characters too baffling for readers in an attempt to make them look realistic. I will not be reading this due to the use of vulgar phrases. Anyway, thanks for the thorough review :tiphat:
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I'm with you that there has to be a very very narrow audience of people for this type of book. For 99% of us, it is a painful read. Great job laying out the downfalls of this book and why it deserved such a low rating. Thanks for your honest review, it is much appreciated!
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Random reader wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 15:11 This book is definitely not for me. From your review, I'm sensing the author made the characters too baffling for readers in an attempt to make them look realistic. I will not be reading this due to the use of vulgar phrases. Anyway, thanks for the thorough review :tiphat:
Baffling and too cynical to be protagonist...by the thanks for commenting :)
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

jcoad wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 21:12 I'm with you that there has to be a very very narrow audience of people for this type of book. For 99% of us, it is a painful read. Great job laying out the downfalls of this book and why it deserved such a low rating. Thanks for your honest review, it is much appreciated!
Literally painful...and thank you for your kind appreciation :)
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Zimall wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 10:54
Random reader wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 15:11 This book is definitely not for me. From your review, I'm sensing the author made the characters too baffling for readers in an attempt to make them look realistic. I will not be reading this due to the use of vulgar phrases. Anyway, thanks for the thorough review :tiphat:
Baffling and too cynical to be protagonist...by the thanks for commenting :)
You are most welcome!
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read your review of the book The Wall by Some Guy. This review is telling about the nature of characters found in the book. All the characters are real and not the supernatural beings. Thanks for the great review.
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 11:30 I have read your review of the book The Wall by Some Guy. This review is telling about the nature of characters found in the book. All the characters are real and not the supernatural beings. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you for your appreciation :)
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I think I was a bit too generous when I gave it 3 stars, there were a lot of problems with the story.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Helen_Combe wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 09:43 Great review, I think I was a bit too generous when I gave it 3 stars, there were a lot of problems with the story.
Thanks for being generous while appreciating my effort . 😀😁
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

You ready did seem hurt by the amount of time spent reading this book. My condolences. But in a masochistic twist, now I want to read the book and see just how bad it is for myself! I'll let you know if I do.
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

Jimi Adewole wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 08:12 You ready did seem hurt by the amount of time spent reading this book. My condolences. But in a masochistic twist, now I want to read the book and see just how bad it is for myself! I'll let you know if I do.
Yeah must read it. may be it will not be so intricate for you. I am not a native American and english is not my first language and that might have caused complications for me. And thank you for commenting Adewole☺
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

This definitely sounds like something I'll pass on. The author/title combination made me laugh and, on a superficial level, I thought it looked interesting. But I don't think this is the kind of supernatural book for me. Thanks for the review!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Zimall
Currently Reading:

Post by Zimall »

M Zee wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 15:41 This definitely sounds like something I'll pass on. The author/title combination made me laugh and, on a superficial level, I thought it looked interesting. But I don't think this is the kind of supernatural book for me. Thanks for the review!
Thanks a lot for commenting Zee☺
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I love comics and a story about a wall and a corrupt leader fits right in. Thank you For your honest review
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”