Review by Philip Chepsingil -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Review by Philip Chepsingil -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin is a book in a Sci-Fi fantasy genre. The book was initially written in the Russian language before it was translated into English. It is the first of a ten-book Dragon series. Other books in the series include; Wings On My Back, A Cruel Tale, Crowns Of Horns, etc. This book is available on Amazon with the Kindle version costing $3.99 and paperback version being $8.00.

This book narrates the life of Andy (the main character) who is a teenage boy at the start of the story. He lived like an average child who lived with his parents and his siblings Olga and Irina. His life took a dramatic twist one day while on a school field trip with the teacher and classmates. There was a thunderstorm while on the tour, and a lightning bolt struck him. Since then any computer would freeze and hung up if he comes close to it. This experience changed his life completely. He had to develop a keen interest in physical activities like archery as opposed to his hoppy of playing virtual computer games before.

Another stage of his complicated life came when he had gone to his father’s laboratory. Before he knew what happened, he was in another world with strange creatures. This stage led him to even a more difficult scene where he was led to another world which violence, torment, and slavery dominated daily life. In the new world of Ilanta, there were strange beings which included Dragons, Elves and Orcs. Some of these beings were dominant and enslaved others. Andy underwent all these experiences in the process of becoming the dragon.

It is difficult to tell the point of view in which the author of this book used. However, it is mostly descriptive in the 3rd person point of view. The story has shifted plot severally making it difficult for the reader to understand. It started in the real world, then to another scene where Andy was with wild animals of the new world. From there it shifted from one scene to another until I lost the flow of the story in the course of reading. I had missed the flow of the story at the point Andy was in a cage enslaved.

Part two of this book "The northwestern border of the Kingdom of Rimm, the Wildlands" had a complex vocabulary which could be from the original language of the book without translation. Words such as; zapag, eet , ya, gut, seemed improvised or foreign. There were also difficult names in this part e.g. Gichok, Chutka, and Grok. With these words and complicated sentences used in a strange setting, it made it difficult for me to read part two. I loved the first part where Andy was in the first strange world where he tagged some massive animals he saw as Eleraffs and others that looked like carnivores as Cheshires. The story was flowing and interesting at that point.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because of the difficulties that I have described that I encountered while reading this book. I could have rated even lower but the book well-planned line of thought and it is well edited. The words I mentioned could have been intentionally used or intentionally not translated to English. I would recommend this book to the lovers of books with extreme fantasies and the people who can understand such complicated Sci-Fi fantasy book.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Philip Chepsingil's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Very interesting review. I like sci-fi books, so I'll have to check this one out.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

Thanks. Check it for yourself to get the details of the story of Andy

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”