Review by Kajori50 -- One Way or Another

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review by Kajori50 -- One Way or Another

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams is the first instalment of The Sisters Quartet series. Each of the four books in this series is a stand-alone, and revolve around the lives of the four Benedict sisters. This book tells the story of Calder.

Wealthy, powerful, beautiful, and successful. From an outsider’s perspective, the Benedict sisters seem to have it all. However, that is not the case. Their beautiful mother, Billy is notoriously promiscuous, whose greatest concern is herself. Even when the girls grow up, she does not change her ways. Each of the sisters has a different father, who hardly care for them. Even the twins, Calder, and Bryce are not full-blooded sisters. Since childhood, they were victims of parental neglect, and witnesses of dysfunctional relationships. The only stable parental figure they had was their housekeeper, Mrs. Finch. Their “unpredictable parents and revolving step-fathers” left the sisters jaded. Quite naturally, they develop an inherent distrust for men. For them, men become beings who are, “To be respected. To be enjoyed. To be forgotten”.

Calder is one of the twins. She wants to break free of the stereotype where everyone considers her as just “another rich girl with too much time on her hands”. This drives her to build the multi-billion charity organization named Erica's Angels, from the ground up. Just like her sisters, she does not hold out any hope for a happily ever after. One day, the wealthy Calder meets the self-made Adam Stone. As soon as they meet, sparks fly. They are the classic case of opposite’s attract. It is Adam who gradually break down her walls, and reinstate her trust. On the other hand, Calder helps him face his own demons. However, their path to happily ever after is not an easy one. They had to overcome threats to family, and crazy exes to finally achieve their happiness. Williams tells a beautiful tale where Calder learns to let go of her reservations, and falls head over heels for Adam, against all odds.

The narrative flows smoothly. The third person perspective employed by Williams does justice to the plot. The characters are well developed, and are not merely type characters. Calder is successful, self-sufficient, and understanding. Adam is a gentleman who knows how to treat a lady. Nevertheless, he is a good person who does not abandon a friend in need. He is charming, dependable, and just what Calder needs. Both Calder, and Adam grow over the course of the novel. I have to say that the romance between Calder, and Adam was well developed. They felt a connection right from the moment they met. However, they took their time to explore that connection. Their romance was both sweet, and sultry.

I loved the fact that besides Calder, and Adam's love story, the author also stresses upon the unbreakable bond among the sisters. In the prologue only, Williams sets the tone of the story. The reader becomes aware of the characteristics of each of the sisters. The author masterfully showcases the love shared among the poised Andi, the caring Calder, the imaginative Bryce, and the fiery Destry. It becomes quite apparent that the quartet were “forces of nature”. Here, it is noteworthy that the anecdote behind the name of each sister is very interesting.

Though the book had a few minor errors, it did not hinder my reading experience. The novel ended on a perfect note. The cliff-hanger at the end piqued my interest in the upcoming books of the series.

Keeping in mind the pros, and cons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. One Way or Another is a perfect tale of romance, and family with a dash of mystery, and humour thrown in. I would recommend this sweet love story to anyone who is a fan of contemporary romances.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sounds like a good book. I wonder how many households were to be thankful for the work of housekeepers, nannies and staff for bringing sanity into the lives of the children.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Helen_Combe wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 07:02 Sounds like a good book. I wonder how many households were to be thankful for the work of housekeepers, nannies and staff for bringing sanity into the lives of the children.
I agree with you. Thank you for commenting. :)
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

They do have very interesting names! I'm glad that they all have a little backstory :) I've been looking to read this book for a while now - I think you may have just convinced me :)
Great review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a great romance. I like that both characters actually seem likable. Thank you for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 09:35 They do have very interesting names! I'm glad that they all have a little backstory :) I've been looking to read this book for a while now - I think you may have just convinced me :)
Great review.
Hope you like the book. :) Thank you for commenting. :)
Last edited by Kajori Sheryl Paul on 07 Oct 2018, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

LaurenHaupt wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 09:58 Sounds like a great romance. I like that both characters actually seem likable. Thank you for the review!
Yes, both the characters are quite likable. Thank you for stopping by. :)
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Very well written review. You laid out the story beautifully. Great job and thanks for the wonderful review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

jcoad wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 11:31 Very well written review. You laid out the story beautifully. Great job and thanks for the wonderful review!
You are welcome. Thank you for your feedback. :)
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Calder is one of the twins. She wants to break free of the stereotype where everyone considers her as just “another rich girl with too much time on her hands”. This drives her to build the multi-billion charity organization named Erica's Angels, from the ground up. Just like her sisters, she does not hold out any hope for a happily ever after. One day, the wealthy Calder meets the self-made Adam Stone. As soon as they meet, sparks fly. They are the classic case of opposite’s attract. It is Adam who gradually break down her walls, and reinstate her trust. On the other hand, Calder helps him face his own demons. However, their path to happily ever after is not an easy one. They had to overcome threats to family, and crazy exes to finally achieve their happiness. Williams tells a beautiful tale where Calder learns to let go of her reservations, and falls head over heels for Adam, against all odds.
You had captured my interest in this summary. I'll read the entire story because this is a standalone read. I am curious to know about the love story of Calder and Adam.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Dolor wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 00:31
You had captured my interest in this summary. I'll read the entire story because this is a standalone read. I am curious to know about the love story of Calder and Adam.
Thank you. :) Hope you like it.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Sounds like a great book, and I really like the idea of each book in the series telling the story of a different sister. I enjoyed reading your review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Julie Green wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 01:41 Sounds like a great book, and I really like the idea of each book in the series telling the story of a different sister. I enjoyed reading your review.
It is a great book. Thank you for commenting. :)
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The book seems to hold a bit of heartbreaking events, but the romance between Calder and Adam sounds interesting. Lovely review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 10:19 The book seems to hold a bit of heartbreaking events, but the romance between Calder and Adam sounds interesting. Lovely review!
Yes, it is. Thank you for stopping by. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”