Review by BookReader+6 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review by BookReader+6 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by HollandBlue »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings starts out with four female friends reconnecting at a cabin in the Colorado wilderness. The main purpose of their gathering is fly fishing. While fishing, the women are unexpectedly interrupted by a woman careening uncontrollably down the river. Will she become the fifth member of their "eclectic group?"

I could go on to describe more about the women, but that would ruin the experience of discovering their unique qualities and personalities. Suffice it to say that they represent different ages, nationalities, and backgrounds.

The one thing that they all have in common is the love of the art of fly fishing. Although traditionally a male-dominated sport, the "girls" get together as often as possible to practice fishing. As their lives become more entwined, they share their innermost feelings, desires, triumphs, and losses. They laugh and they cry, sometimes both at the same time.

Sophie, Rose, Amanda, Veronica, and Melody confront their individual challenges and fears. Their lives mirror the rules of fly fishing by exhibiting examples of getting ready, practicing, perfecting the cast, catching, and releasing. These rules become metaphors for the growth that the women are going through while at the cabin. I think Veronica sums it up best when she says, "You never know when one conversation can change your entire journey."

Although the book describes the intricacies of fly fishing, the focus is on character development. The point of view shifts from one woman to another, but the transitions are easy to follow, and they allow the reader to understand the emotions of each character. Each section is divided by the name of the woman who is narrating, and between paragraphs there is double-spacing.

This novel has a lot of depth. I found myself on a roller-coaster ride of emotions while reading. The story is a little repetitive but is well-written, and the tempo picks up towards the end of the book. It culminates in an unexpected situation that changes all of their lives forever.

The only thing that I would add to the novel would be a small map of Colorado to enable the reader to follow the locales where the different scenes take place. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Women of any age will most likely be able to relate to one of the characters. I believe that they are the target audience, although some men might find it engaging due to the fly fishing details. So like the line that got me hooked says, "What are you wading for?" Grab yourself a copy and get reading!

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookReader+6's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I like character-driven stories. This seems like my kind of book. Thanks for the review!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read your review of the book The Real Sisters by Michelle Cummings. There is a strong bond like a reel between the ladies of different ages and diverse backgrounds. You have a good review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

A friendship spiced by a favourite sport seems true and unbreakable. I would like to read the book to learn more about these interesting women. Fascinating review!
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 02:16 I like character-driven stories. This seems like my kind of book. Thanks for the review!
This book is very character-driven. There is good character development and a lot of dialogue between them. Enjoy reading it and thanks for stopping by!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Thank you for your comments.
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 08:23 I have read your review of the book The Real Sisters by Michelle Cummings. There is a strong bond like a reel between the ladies of different ages and diverse backgrounds. You have a good review.
Thanks for your comments!
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 13:12 A friendship spiced by a favourite sport seems true and unbreakable. I would like to read the book to learn more about these interesting women. Fascinating review!
The story was very believable and realistic. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.
(1466-1536)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The only thing that I would add to the novel would be a small map of Colorado to enable the reader to follow the locales where the different scenes take place.
Good idea! I have so enjoyed reading your review. The five women are truly phenomenal! Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I'm curious about the unexpected situation that changes all of their lives forever! I enjoy books about the friendships of women. This one seems well done, easy to follow, and relatable through one character or another. It would be interesting to learn more about fly fishing. Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Cotwani wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 15:51
The only thing that I would add to the novel would be a small map of Colorado to enable the reader to follow the locales where the different scenes take place.
Good idea! I have so enjoyed reading your review. The five women are truly phenomenal! Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for your comment!
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

stacie k wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 20:50 I'm curious about the unexpected situation that changes all of their lives forever! I enjoy books about the friendships of women. This one seems well done, easy to follow, and relatable through one character or another. It would be interesting to learn more about fly fishing. Thanks for your informative review!
Thanks for stopping by. I can't tell you about the unexpected situation without giving away the experience of reading it.
(1466-1536)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really like your suggestion of adding a way finding map. Those and family trees can be so helpful in books.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I have read this book. It is so nice and interesting. The 4 women have different attitude and characteristics but they fit in with each other so well, like they were soul sisters.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Great inclusion of the "wading for" line. I really enjoyed this book for all the same reasons as you described. There is something for everyone in this book. I'm glad to see another fan and great job laying out why everyone should pick up this book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”